Watery eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke2207

5 Year Member
Hi out there my fellow tortoisers!
I have a horsefield tortoise called Dougie that I have had for nearly 2months and he is about 18months old. He seems to be getting very watery eyes at the moment and I'm unsure as to why? I bathe him in warm water for about 20 mins every 2 or 3 days but just wondered if there is anything else I can do to help the little dude.
Hope you guys can help

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Raise your tortoise's habitat overall humidity …:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Peek at the poo and see that it is firm and tootsie roll like :D and if so then go next to checking your humidity and if that is good then keep an eye on his behavior to assure he is active as he should be and not lethargic....

you will want to rule out potential parasite issue--likely if the poo is good then, well the proof is in the pudding (I know, kinda gross comparison, but hey).

if your enclosure is too dry then that can also cause watery eyes..so verify your humidity and if it is low then perhaps offer up a warm humid hide that your tort can use as he needs to.

watery eyes accompanied by decreased appetite, lack of activity wet gooey poo all can be signs of URI..

So, you will want to determine what factors are going on for your tort....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In an indoor enclosure you can provide a warm humid hide and/or you can make a large portion of the enclosure a warm humid zone...you can find the consistently warm spot (maybe the basking spot) and add water to the substrate and let it slowly dry out....also, you can cover the top of the enclosure either 3/4 or more if you are able to work that out...

luke2207

5 Year Member
I have a fluorescent uv lamp and 50 watt basking lamp. Shall I spray water on his shell aswell as the substrate or is that not necessary?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you say "fluorescent UV" bulb, do you mean the tube-type, or the compact fluorescent bulb? The CFL may be causing his eye problem. If not the lighting, it may very well be the substrate. What kind of substrate is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.