We need a "no holds barred" section

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stells

Yvonne is so going to kick your butt later Jacqui... for going offtopic...

You like the new ID huh? Its true... i post... thats it thread dead!!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I think it's a bad idea because someone is going to get there feelings hurt or someone will hold a grudge about something that has been said and there will be guaranteed spill over into regualer threads. I don't know what a solution is but this is not it.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
stells said:
If... we can't go offtopic... shouldn't this whole thread be in off topic debates ;)

As it isn't about tortoises lol

It's not that you were off topic, it's just that some of us clearly get posts deleted more often than others. I know how you feel.

Since my earlier constructive post was deleted for apparently (????) being off topic (as if anything in this thread is on a single topic), here's another suggestion:

Make this "no holds barred" forum a forum that has a very minor fee attached to membership.... Say you pay $5 per year to have access to it. They do that over on Fauna Classifieds (theirs is called HELL), so the people going there choose to do so and pay to do so. This prevents people from wandering in that don't know what they're getting themselves into, and it keeps out the clutter and the riff-raff. I would also highly highly suggest that this be a mod-free zone. Not that it would ever happen, but mods shouldn't even be able to post in there. Sometimes people just need a place to strech their legs.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TylerStewart said:
, but mods shouldn't even be able to post in there. Sometimes people just need a place to strech their legs.

Wow! Hmmm trying to think of how to say something here to convey my thoughts. So by being a Mod we should get even further penalized?

I have another idea, which might help eliminate some of the poor behavior in the main forum and in the potential new forum. Let's make it a requirement that you must have and continue to have, a certain period of time or may be better a certain number of posts without getting any warnings to post in that section or to continue to post in there. Actually I think a combination of time without causing trouble and a certain number of posts. With posts being counted only if they are meaning full ones. Not posts like " :D" or "Nice!".

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Jacqui said:
Wow! Hmmm trying to think of how to say something here to convey my thoughts. So by being a Mod we should get even further penalized?

Well, if you feel you are currently "penalized" because you're a mod, I'm sure you can step down :) Not suggesting it, just throwing that out there!

My point was that with no mods at all in there, it can remain an uncontrolled forum. Once mods are involved, they are again becoming biased, picking sides and passing what was supposed to be secret info to their siblings. If this proposed forum is supposed to be uncontrolled, why do mods need to be involved in it? Mods should be unbiased (which some clearly are not), uninvolved in disputes, and by posting anything at all in there, it cancels out that notion.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
TylerStewart said:
Jacqui said:

Well, if you feel you are currently "penalized" because you're a mod, I'm sure you can step down :) Not suggesting it, just throwing that out there!

My point was that with no mods at all in there, it can remain an uncontrolled forum. Once mods are involved, they are again becoming biased, picking sides and passing what was supposed to be secret info to their siblings. If this proposed forum is supposed to be uncontrolled, why do mods need to be involved in it? Mods should be unbiased (which some clearly are not), uninvolved in disputes, and by posting anything at all in there, it cancels out that notion.
[/quote

Agreed. Wow Tyler that has to be a first for me and you, huh? ;) :D

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Whoa! I'm asleep for 8 hours and this is what happens!?

Sorry I'm so late in responding but in response to your question re: over spill & D'marcus' concerns about feelings being hurt.

@Jacqui - I don't believe over-spill would be a concern...if it DOES then I'm sure since the conversation is taking place outside of the "No holds barred" section, the moderators would have the authority that they have now. Delete/edit/move. I feel as though you guys would have LESS work to do and LESS concern with all the debates going on in this new section.

As a father myself, it is my responsibility to keep my child's eyes where they are supposed to be. To be honest there are FAR more provocative type adult websites that the kids have access to any day, any time. A kid can Google in a search bar and have access to the entire world if he/she wanted to. I don't think a Tortoise Website is nearly a threat to a kid as...let's say facebook.

@ D'Marcus. There is a lot of talk about how members should start acting like adults on this Forum, which of course, makes sense. If my feeling's were hurt in a thread that I know very well is non moderated...the first thing that I'd ask myself is "Why am I in here?"

It's like when my son plays around outside without his shoes and Daddy says "Eligh put your shoes on or you're going to get hurt!" he ignores my warning then stubs his toe...is he going to say "Daddy why didn't you tell me?!"?...because I have faith in my parenting skills he's not going to say a word and just cry...well maybe ask for a band-aid.

If anyone has a good idea on how we create a virtual band-aid I'd be open to suggestions. lol

** Also I just wanted to add -- with the Idea that I had people would also have to ASK to be allowed in. They wouldn't automatically have access to the section.**

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Fernando said:
Whoa! I'm asleep for 8 hours and this is what happens!?

Sorry I'm so late in responding but in response to your question re: over spill & D'marcus' concerns about feelings being hurt.

@Jacqui - I don't believe over-spill would be a concern...if it DOES then I'm sure since the conversation is taking place outside of the "No holds barred" section, the moderators would have the authority that they have now. Delete/edit/move. I feel as though you guys would have LESS work to do and LESS concern with all the debates going on in this new section.

As a father myself, it is my responsibility to keep my child's eyes where they are supposed to be. To be honest there are FAR more provocative type adult websites that the kids have access to any day, any time. A kid can Google in a search bar and have access to the entire world if he/she wanted to. I don't think a Tortoise Website is nearly a threat to a kid as...let's say facebook.

@ D'Marcus. There is a lot of talk about how members should start acting like adults on this Forum, which of course, makes sense. If my feeling's were hurt in a thread that I know very well is non moderated...the first thing that I'd ask myself is "Why am I in here?"

It's like when my son plays around outside without his shoes and Daddy says "Eligh put your shoes on or you're going to get hurt!" he ignores my warning then stubs his toe...is he going to say "Daddy why didn't you tell me?!"?...because I have faith in my parenting skills he's not going to say a word and just cry...well maybe ask for a band-aid.

If anyone has a good idea on how we create a virtual band-aid I'd be open to suggestions. lol

I understand that everyone needs to act like an adult, but not everyone seems to have the ability to turn off the mad switch, they seem to get tunnel vison and all they see is payback for a bad comment or getting disrespected. I have seen it so mant times.

Honestly, if there was a no holds barred thread I wouldn't read it, but it still conserns me that there will be possible spill over into the normal threads.

Example:
your boss (a forum member) is having issues at home (no holds barred section) and fighting with their spouse (another member), your boss is so frustrated that he/she can't leave those problems at home. So when they arrive to work, any employee (neutral members) that says anything your boss doesn't like will feel the anger they brought to work from home.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dalano73 said:
Example:
your boss (a forum member) is having issues at home (no holds barred section) and fighting with their spouse (another member), your boss is so frustrated that he/she can't leave those problems at home. So when they arrive to work, any employee (neutral members) that says anything your boss doesn't like will feels the anger they brought to work from home.

Read my response to Jacqui. It would be no less then what the Mods have already been doing.

In fact there would be LESS work for them. Edit/Delete/Move Off Topic or disturbing posts.

The Boss and their spouse already have access to PM's. They could have already been arguing the entire time behind the scenes WITHOUT any no holds bar section.

This has already happened with a few forum members here. Trust me :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ummm EVERYone, let's try to all stay on the subject of having a "no holds barred" section.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wow...haven't checked in since I posted the original thought.....

Look at all the mod deletions on this thread!
I am not one to bash anybody but when opinions are given, I see nothing wrong in questioning where those opinions came from and what REAL, PERSONAL experience that person has.

Maybe I'm mistaken but it feels like we must take things on face value on these forums. If we ask for more info or dig deeper it ends up being "off topic" or "mean"
I know those questions can be asked through pm's and such but then the group doesn't learn only the individual.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Az tortoise compound said:
Wow...haven't checked in since I posted the original thought.....

Look at all the mod deletions on this thread!
I am not one to bash anybody but when opinions are given, I see nothing wrong in questioning where those opinions came from and what REAL, PERSONAL experience that person has.

Maybe I'm mistaken but it feels like we must take things on face value on these forums. If we ask for more info or dig deeper it ends up being "off topic" or "mean"
I know those questions can be asked through pm's and such but then the group doesn't learn only the individual.

Just for the record, I also had a post or two deleted among those. I think there are ways of questioning, WITHOUT crossing the forum rules.

And also, both you and I are going a little bit off topic, so we need to try to slide back towards the "no holds barred" topic. :cool:

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Fernando said:
dmmj said:
Josh just posted a site announcement about the warning system would the waring system apply in such a section?

I would assume that something close to a physical threat of some sort, his warnings would apply if not immediate action. But as long as it's tortoise related or a topic the poster has agreed to debate on, I don't see a need for them.

A restricted, unmoderated section sounds like a good idea on its surface. The people in there are those that meet the criteria and CHOOSE to be in there. OK. But what if the section is used to trash members who don't choose to be in there? Getting trashed behind closed doors is just as toxic as getting trashed in the public part of the forum.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Edna said:
Fernando said:
dmmj said:
Josh just posted a site announcement about the warning system would the waring system apply in such a section?

I would assume that something close to a physical threat of some sort, his warnings would apply if not immediate action. But as long as it's tortoise related or a topic the poster has agreed to debate on, I don't see a need for them.

A restricted, unmoderated section sounds like a good idea on its surface. The people in there are those that meet the criteria and CHOOSE to be in there. OK. But what if the section is used to trash members who don't choose to be in there? Getting trashed behind closed doors is just as toxic as getting trashed in the public part of the forum.

You bring up a good point Edna. Now, the idea here is a sub topic to the debate section.

So the intent of the person(s) is to debate a certain topic...I would hope that the topic would not be one sided and the person getting "trashed" is not even involved in the debate...that just ends up being a mess and there would be no point in the section, period.

We can keep it strictly tortoise topic related or it can be completely open. I'm creating a thread now regarding the section...so maybe you can post your ideas there. I'll even create a poll? Any suggestions? Anyone?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
How about this. Two people are on the regular forum discussing whatever. The thread starts to get a bit heated. One of the participants says "lets take this to the no holds barred section if you or I want to continue in this fassion" The other member says "sure". Its like "lets step outside" type of thing. One of the two contacts a Moderator to get access to this area of the forum where they title a new thread and have at it. All the participants were either part of the old thread or read up to where it got heated and decided that they want to join the conversation. Moderators warn the ones involved to stay on topic and "keep it amongst yourselves" They check in from time to time like any other thread to see that non participants arent getting hammered. On the open forum thread it can state: The heated part of this thread has been moved to the no holds barred section anyone who wants to participate contact a mod. I vote that Fernando be kind of a mod in this section. He can monitor the comings and goings of the participants and allow or deny access. The other mods have enough to do.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
onarock said:
How about this. Two people are on the regular forum discussing whatever. The thread starts to get a bit heated. One of the participants says "lets take this to the no holds barred section if you or I want to continue in this fassion" The other member says "sure". Its like "lets step outside" type of thing. One of the two contacts a Moderator to get access to this area of the forum where they title a new thread and have at it. All the participants were either part of the old thread or read up to where it got heated and decided that they want to join the conversation. Moderators warn the ones involved to stay on topic and "keep it amongst yourselves" They check in from time to time like any other thread to see that non participants arent getting hammered. On the open forum thread it can state: The heated part of this thread has been moved to the no holds barred section anyone who wants to participate contact a mod. I vote that Fernando be kind of a mod in this section. He can monitor the comings and goings of the participants and allow or deny access. The other mods have enough to do.

That makes sense. And obviously those allowed access would be able to view it. If you have not ASKED to be a part of that area, then obviously you don't have to see certain things.

I think both sides would be satisfied...those who want to finish a disagreement and those who don't care to see it.

If a person is pressuring or calling the other person out in public the offer to go to the "NHB" after they have already declined once or twice, they will be moderated at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.