We need a Q&A thread

deepnx

Ive been to all the Sticky threads and they are very informative and ive learned a lot.

I recently purchased a Star Tortoise and have a ton of questions in my mind on its Health and Enviorment.

There are beautiful threads in this forum that explains a lot on the kind of Habitat and Enclosure it requires etc.

But i feel we do need a Sticky Q&A Thread with relevant links Answering most of the general questions.

Eg.
Q. What is Pyramiding?
A. (we could insert a link of a thread in this forum)

As a Newbie i have a lot of questions. If someone can create a thread and make it sticky please answer these questions for me.

Q1. What to look out for before buying/adopting a new Star Tortise?
(Because some local sellers dont keep these beautiful creation in a very healthy enviorment)

Q2. How often do they sleep or how active are they?
(This is the biggest concern as the one i got is always sleeping. He only moves if i keep food for him or else he is just always sitting with eyes closed)

Q3. How do i bathe or wash him?
(A pdf file in our thread told to use a brush or a earbud once a week)

Q4. How often do they poop/pee ? and How is it like ? How to clean it ?
(Been 2 days since ive got him and he hasnt pooped or peed)

Q5. Should we buy a single or in a pair? How does both option affect in the overall mood of the Tortoise?
(Planning to get a female friend for him)

Q6. Water?
(What temperature and Filtered or Tapped)

Q7. Names of the stuff you put in a enclosure ?
(This is very imp cause i see many enclosures with lots of stuff but not on whats it "Called" like example whats the shapeless clay plate called where you put water or What kind of soil is required as the base of the enclosure)

Q8. Types of Enclosures? Top coverd? Glass/ Plastic / Acrylic?
(Links to the best enclosure threads)

And many more questions that could be requested by the users in the thread that can go up to the main thread section.

This will boost the knowledge of every user New and Exp in one whole thread. Also TBH gain a lot of new users in this forum once someone searches such stuff on google.

Please someone ans those questions of mine if the Admin doesnt like the idea of Q&A thread. Cause i need to know more about my Tortoise sply with the questions ive given above.

This is a very knowledgeable forum and im really happy to be a part of it.
Thank you.

Deeps...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most of those questions are answered at the top of the Frequently Asked Questions thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-faqs-new-and-need-help.133/

I am continually updating the FAQ section. It's an ongoing process. Eventually it will be a closed section and we all will be able to refer our members to the links therein when repetitive questions are asked.

Last edited:

Ed mitch

Look on frequently asked questions, that will be very helpful for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'll give this a shot:

Example question: Pyramiding is when each scute of a tortoises carapace form a conical shaped pyramid instead of growing flat and smooth. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.

1. Read this for what to avoid:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Read this one for what should be done with babies.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

2. This varies a lot. Individuals have different personalities and activity levels. Some are more afraid, and so they hide more often. The thing for a new keeper to do is make sure you are avoiding the common mistakes of using coil bulbs for UV, or keeping temps too cool, day or night.

3. You don't need to "bathe" him or wash him, but you should soak him daily. This is for hydration, not cleanliness.

4. This also varies a lot. Some go every day, others go once every few days. Mine go in their soaking tubs daily, so there is nothing to clean in the enclosure. I just dump and rinse the soaking container when I'm done.

5. They do best as singles. They can sometimes get along in groups of 3 or more, with the right sex ratio, but not always. They should never be housed as a pair. This is very stressful on them and usually leads to death or sickness.

6. If the tap water is safe for you to drink in your area, then its safe for your tortoise. It will be the temperature of the enclosure, or a little cooler due to evaporation.

7. This is best answered in a care sheet. I typed this one for sulcatas and leopards, but I house all my stars identically:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

8. It would be very difficult to maintain the correct conditions for a star in anything other than a closed chamber:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

This is a very active forum with a lot of knowledgeable and experienced tortoise keepers. You should feel free to continue fueling the tortoise conversation by asking any and all questions that occur to you as you go a long. When you read those links, it will probably make you think of some new questions. Ask them. That's what we do here. :)