Weeds

Squirts

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana ca
Hello I have tons of these in my back yard can my sulcata eat these. I want to make sure they are safe for him to eat.

1550081964148617146592432640333.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mustard and mallow. Both are edible, but my tortoises don't eat it unless it's chopped up and mixed in with stuff they like.

Squirts

Fontana ca
Cool! I wish I can take pictures of all the weeds we have out here and put it in google and it will tell me exactly what is it so i can check if my sulfate can eat it. I'm learning my weeds so i don't have to buy any more lettuce. How about this these.

15502559700552906101093856247234.jpg 15502559922974808268468552552161.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first one might be (I say MIGHT be) deady night shade - toxic. Does it get little black round berries?

The second one is edible. Prickly lettuce or something like that.

Squirts

Fontana ca
The first one might be (I say MIGHT be) deady night shade - toxic. Does it get little black round berries?

The second one is edible. Prickly lettuce or something like that.
The first one it has small lil white flowers on it. Very very little flowers. Haven't seen any berries on it yet so i rather not give it to him but thr second one is a lil prickly. Thanks so much. I'm taking advantage. We have a huge field in the back of my home so i go and take all the weeds from out there.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The third plant is in the nightshade family, as Yvonne said. Could be deadly nightshade, could be an eggplant for all I know, the ones with white flowers all look the same to me.

At any rate, none of the nightshade family is recommended to feed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I have tons of these in my back yard can my sulcata eat these. I want to make sure they are safe for him to eat.
I can never remember the name of the one with the yellow flowers, but its not mustard. Its very common here in SoCal and its one of the first to spring up when the rains come. Its not toxic and they can eat it, but its not one of their favorites.

The other one with the round leaves is mallow. That is an EXCELLENT tortoise food and they love it. All of my tortoise eat that as a large percentage of their diet this time of year. It grows all around me out here. It will die off quickly and go to seed when the weather warms up in a few weeks. Find the dying plants anywhere and spread them where you want more of it to grow next year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought the third one was lambsquarter, but the flowers aren't right... If it is lambsquarter, they can eat it, but they don't usually like it. Since its not appetizing anyway, and it might be something deadly, I'd just pull it out by the root and chuck it. Why risk it for something they don't even like?

The third one is in the dandelion family and is good tortoise food. I can never remember the name of that one either.

Squirts

Fontana ca
I thought the third one was lambsquarter, but the flowers aren't right... If it is lambsquarter, they can eat it, but they don't usually like it. Since its not appetizing anyway, and it might be something deadly, I'd just pull it out by the root and chuck it. Why risk it for something they don't even like?

The third one is in the dandelion family and is good tortoise food. I can never remember the name of that one either.
Okay I will definitely won't give it to him. How about this one.

15505235980276969720912135542865.jpg

Squirts

Fontana ca
Okay I will definitely won't give it to him. How about this one.
Sorry I have a lot of weeds in my home and I have a huge field in the back of my house to so Im taking advantage of all the grass back there to.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My tortoise loves that ... I planted some in his enclosure and he ate it down to the root.

Jamie

Last edited: