Weight loss

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi

I have two spur thigh tortoises, one has recently had a growth spurt but the other one keeps fluctuating between 30 grams and 50 grams. She is active, eats every day and her poo is firm.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

I have two spur thigh tortoises, one has recently had a growth spurt but the other one keeps fluctuating between 30 grams and 50 grams. She is active, eats every day and her poo is firm.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

These two are kept together.

One failing to thrive is frequently a sign that one has decided the other isn’t welcome and is giving out vibes that food and space are not for sharing. I did explain about this in your other thread.

Separate them permanently

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Ok in the mean time I have created a divider between them until I can get another enclousure. Is that ok?

That would largely depend on the available space each tortoise gets and how their resources are shared in this situation.

For example if you started them off in a 4 x 2 ft enclosure, you're effectively only giving each tortoise a 2 x 2 ft of room to work with. That's very small. There won't much much room for essential items such as hides, water dishes, feeding dishes, feeding tiles, and additional shade elements. Basking and cool areas will also be quite limited.

I suggest purchasing or building another enclosure as soon as you can because 1/2 the space of a full enclosure is not going to encourage a tortoise to remain active. I believe it can also make them feel trapped to suddenly lose all that space.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Ok thank you, you have been very helpful in my hour of need. Should I keep them together for now until I can start to build a new enclousure later this week

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok thank you, you have been very helpful in my hour of need. Should I keep them together for now until I can start to build a new enclousure later this week
A few days should not make much difference. Do what you can to keep them apart. Moving items or adding plants to the current enclosure to break up sight lines so the subordinate tort doesn't feel constantly watched might help.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings....given this tort is pretty small, isnt that much of a fluctuation (30-50 grams) a bit questionable? That seems like a pretty large change/fluctuation in such a small weight.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi, torts have been separated into their own well sized enclosures, but how long do you think it will take for the subordinate tort to realise she is alone, as she is still shy.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi, torts have been separated into their own well sized enclosures, but how long do you think it will take for the subordinate tort to realise she is alone, as she is still shy.

No one can say for sure. None of us know how long the bullying and or harassing has gone on or the extent of the damage done. Keep them permanently separated and hopefully, in time, the other tortoise will become more active.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
About a month, I have a camera and no physical bullying just mental, she does not give in to the other one so I can imagine the stress