Weird question but help!! (remove ink from shell)

rach.sxo

Location (City and/or State)
Wolverhampton
When I brought my tortoise he had a number written on his shell so they knew which one was which. They wrote it in tip ex and I can't get it off!!!
Any suggestions on how to get it off without damaging his shell.
Please help!!

yillt

I'm sorry. I don't know what a tip x is. Is it a permanent felt tipped marker or a paint pen?
It's that type of incaradicator that I don't think should be used on tortoises. But I don't rlly know.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've had luck with removing felt tip marker with some WD-40 on a cotton ball. It should be gentle enough not to hurt his shell or anything else. I don't have FIRST HAND experience with this sort of thing.

rach.sxo

Wolverhampton
Okay thanks I'll try that when I get home. He looks so messy with it on and doesn't feel like mine when he's still got it on.
Thanks guys.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
tip ex, you mean the correction fluid for ball point pen? if so i wouldn't worry too much, over time with regular soaking it should brake down and wash away, id think week or so.

perhaps a bit of a light delicate scrub with a toothbrush will help things along? could you upload a pic?

rach.sxo

Wolverhampton
Yeah the corrections fluid. I had him on the 19th December and he's had quite a few baths now and doesn't seem to make a difference.
I'll upload a pic when I get back from work haven't got one of that side of him sorry

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I bought my baby from N2torts back in August or September and it had a number on it too in what looks like a silver paint marker. It is still there a little bit but I don't use any chemicals on it. I just rub it with my fingers when I soak and bathe him. It's almost complete gone now.

My Sulcata is a different story. His original owner had bad housing for him and he escaped a lot so she took a permanent black sharpie and wrote her phone number on his shell. I don't know how long it's been there but Hal hasn't been in her position to 2 years. It's starting to fade but you can clearly read the number. I just leave it be.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Isn't WD-40 some oil? I would not put that on the shell, I don't think those chemicals are healthy and the shell can't breathe with oil on it.
If there is no tip ex on the growth lines, I would let it be, it will dissapear gradually.

rach.sxo

Wolverhampton
Oh right okay then. Well he's due a bath anyway so ill do him tonight and see what I can do with just water (not that it's worked before but ill try some more)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
i would try up soaking to every second day. as said wd 40 has helped before in a similar situation so might be woth a try. I wouldn't advice anything harsher tough. maby try sprying some on to a cotton swab and gently stroke shell.

i would have a look on here for a thread about shell care, im sure i seen a thread about 'conditioning' the shell if you will with a lotion, i'll try find it for you and post link

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
It's not a problem. Just leave it be and please don't clean it with anything but water, that's the best for the shell.
That's a cute little tort, :) but he already is pyramiding, so keep the substrate moist and soak him often. ;)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
A normal, healthy shell grows completely smooth, but when the scutes grow to stand out like bumps, that's called pyramiding. Sorry, it's hard for me to explain, my English is so bad. :oops: But google for pictures, you'll see immediately what I mean.
It is a consequence of dehydration, to prevent it you have to keep the humidity your enclosure high.

It has really just started a tiny little bit on your tort, so don't worry, but keep him/her well hydrated from now on. :)

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I would try, in this order, one at a time...dish washing liquid, vinegar, rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol, WD-40, acetone or xylene. In all cases, put some on a cotton [ONLY] cloth and gently wipe the writing. In all cases and between any two solvents, finish by washing the area thoroughly with a mild soap and warm water and dry completely.

rach.sxo

Wolverhampton
A normal, healthy shell grows completely smooth, but when the scutes grow to stand out like bumps, that's called pyramiding. Sorry, it's hard for me to explain, my English is so bad. :oops: But google for pictures, you'll see immediately what I mean.
It is a consequence of dehydration, to prevent it you have to keep the humidity your enclosure high.

It has really just started a tiny little bit on your tort, so don't worry, but keep him/her well hydrated from now on. :)
He never drinks out of his water bowl so only gets moisture when I bath him :( I'm worried now is pyramiding really bad for them? How do I check humidity? (I'm completely new to tortoise keeping)