Well I'll have to say goodbye to my tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Woodbridge,NJ
So NJ law requires you to have a adoption certificate and some id number.But I got mine from a person on craigslist who needed to sell them.Now what?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't worry about it. I doubt they have the man power to send someone door to door to see who owns a tortoise and if they have the papers for said tortoise. If the guy on CL could sell it without papers, well then I guess you were able to buy it without papers. If it were me, I would carry on as usual. People are suppose to have permits in most cities to do remodeling inside and outside their homes, guess how many actually gets that permit? Not many.:D

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Well..what they don't know won't hurt them.

Don't ask...Don't tell.

Or you could check with a local rescue person an ask what you need to do to get an adoption certificate.

But, in any case, if you are providing a good home for your tortoise; then do what is best for the tortoise. By adopting the tortoise you have become responsible to maintain that tortoise to the best of your ability.

Government is rarely the best solution for the individual situation; they don't have the ability to be omniscient.

It's your decision and your responsibility.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just a gentle reminder, we can not encourage the breaking of any laws on this forum.

However that does not mean that for instance I couldn't send the poster a PM telling them that I agree with Wellington (Barb) for instance... just sayin'

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I had to get a permit and register with Florida Fish & Wildlife in order to get a sulcata from AZ. I thought it was going to be a big deal, but it wasn't. In fact, it was very easy, and I wasn't charged for the permit either. Maybe, NJ laws aren't that bad. At least, if a neighbor decided to report you for having a tortoise, you don't have to worry about it.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I did what was suggested above. I adopted a Calif. Desert Tortoise.
I contacted the Turtle and Tortoise Society.
They sent me an application.
One week later I had a permit.
They want tortoises to have responsible homes. Their goal is not to put in a rescue if it has a home.
Please keep it.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ
Im not sure what I should do.

Should I go to a vet and ask about how to receive a adoption certificate since I got it from that seller and then sign up for the permit?I need help with this since I dont really want to break any laws.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know the New Jersey laws, but I thought if you bought the turtle out of state you are ok. My suggestion is for you to talk to someone in a turtle rescue/club who knows the laws. You don't have to mention you already have the tortoise

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Permits are usually pretty easy to get. It's just something you pick up at your town hall or local courthouse. Maybe you will have to pay a filing fee. It should be no big deal. I am hoping it is that simple but I am not from NJ. I think you should make a few phone calls and find out. I think it is always best to do all that is required of pet ownership.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Google your city in New Jersey and put Turtle and tortoise rescue.
They will help you

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ
All right I found out that only for Russian tortoises or endangered species or threatened do you need the adoption thing.I will call up the fish and game department and ask for a permit.But Im not sure about the fee for having a tortoise before the permit.Would someone be kind enough and help me?

argus333

5 Year Member
nj turtles/tortoises are legal to own but illegal to distribute.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ
argus333 said:
nj turtles/tortoises are legal to own but illegal to distribute.

You still need to get a permit to own it or massive fines and might get your tort revoked.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Gunter said:
All right I found out that only for Russian tortoises or endangered species or threatened do you need the adoption thing.I will call up the fish and game department and ask for a permit.But Im not sure about the fee for having a tortoise before the permit.Would someone be kind enough and help me?

Interesting, I wonder why Russians need them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
Just a gentle reminder, we can not encourage the breaking of any laws on this forum.

However that does not mean that for instance I couldn't send the poster a PM telling them that I agree with Wellington (Barb) for instance... just sayin'

OOPS, SORRY:(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think you're stressing over this too much. You will not have to pay massive fines. Your permit may not even cost you a dime. Just make calls to your state fish and wildlife and inquire about a permit for a tortoise period.

Gunter

5 Year Member
Woodbridge,NJ
sibi said:
I think you're stressing over this too much. You will not have to pay massive fines. Your permit may not even cost you a dime. Just make calls to your state fish and wildlife and inquire about a permit for a tortoise period.

Ill call the fish and game department and say i dont have one but would like to apply for one.I believe its $10 here a year and you have to renew it by January 31st if you already had one.Ill try to see if that works and I will tell you guys if it goes alright.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you don't have to lie. All you have to do is call them and ask what the rules are regarding buying a russian tortoise. This "implies" that you don't have one, but you're not coming right out and lying. If they ask if you already have one, I'd be truthful.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Interesting. Eek! This hasn't even crossed my mind. Anyone know off hand what the basic legalities are for TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.