Wet nose but very rare, please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
I just woke up my torts(stars) to give them their midnight snack and I saw one of them had a small bubble on it's nose than right away dried up. I have never seen it before, isit normal when they wake up to have a slightly wet nose for perhaps a few seconds than dry up like we humans do sometimes? It's dry throughout the day, just say one small bubble which disappeared in a few seconds earlier. [/align]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
probably nothing to worry about.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Midnight feeding? You wake your tortoises up to feed them? That just does not sound right or make much sense to me. So I really don't mean to be disrespectful,would you mind explaining to me why you would wake up your tortoises in the middle of the night to feed them? Why don't you feed them during the day on a regular schedule of once in the morning and once in the evening like most keepers?...I am just trying to understand something that doesn't sound right to me, I don't mean to cause any trouble. Am I understanding your situation correctly in that you wake up your torts in the middle of the night to feed them?

samstar

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Midnight feeding? You wake your tortoises up to feed them? That just does not sound right or make much sense to me. So I really don't mean to be disrespectful,would you mind explaining to me why you would wake up your tortoises in the middle of the night to feed them? Why don't you feed them during the day on a regular schedule of once in the morning and once in the evening like most keepers?...I am just trying to understand something that doesn't sound right to me, I don't mean to cause any trouble. Am I understanding your situation correctly in that you wake up your torts in the middle of the night to feed them?

I have to admit it was wrong of my doing to wake them up but I just so wanted to see them and watch them eat. Something I wouldn't think of doing again.

Akuma

5 Year Member
Stockholm Sweden
samstar said:
I have to admit it was wrong of my doing to wake them up but I just so wanted to see them and watch them eat. Something I wouldn't think of doing again.

How would you like it if someone woke you up in the middle of the night and shoved a sandwich down your throat?

Aside from that - you should try to make your tortoise to have a sleeping rythm.

samstar

5 Year Member
Akuma said:
samstar said:

How would you like it if someone woke you up in the middle of the night and shoved a sandwich down your throat?

Aside from that - you should try to make your tortoise to have a sleeping rythm.

Alright guys I get it.
Yesterday they didn't eat much and I walked them in my garden under natural sunlight for about an hour, they were very active and grazed very little. Afterwhich I soaked them in for 15 minutes and put them back into their eclosure to sleep. This morning about 7 o' clock I prepared their spring mix with Mazuri, hibiscus and they finshed it all up. Usually they leave a little but I think with their garden exercise yesterday and all that sleep, they woke up really hungry.
I sure did start of my Monday with a smile on my face..:D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Sam at this rate I seriously doubt you will have those star tortoises alive in the spring.. you refuse to set them up right and feed them right or leave them alone! When you read the article in the link [ that I just included ] at the bottom of my signature.. your stars will be fine - IF YOU READ IT.. AND IF YOU HEED TO IT...

Terry K

samstar

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
Sam at this rate I seriously doubt you will have those star tortoises alive in the spring.. you refuse to set them up right and feed them right or leave them alone! When you read the article in the link [ that I just included ] at the bottom of my signature.. your stars will be fine - IF YOU READ IT.. AND IF YOU HEED TO IT...

Terry K

Pardon me but I am very new to this and I only want the best for them which is why I'm SORRY for asking silly questions but isn't this the best place to learn? Yes I should not have woken them up and I did that only once so how am I not leaving them alone? We dont have spring where I live, it's warm/rainy 24/7 and my Stars are kept indoors, I only walk them in my garden in the evenings under natural sunlight for about an hour tops. I am improving their enclosure from what I have been learning here. I bought mustard, watercress, pumpkin, romain yesterday.You mentioned that I refuse to set them up right? I put timothy hay as substrate, the temp is about 25-32 degrees celcius, they have UVA and UVB light which is on for 10-12 hours a day, I just boght them a hut and am looking to buying boston fern leaves. I sprinkle their food with Ca powder mixed with Mazuri, I put in a small shallow water dish, I soak them 10-15 minutes daily and the water level is up to their chin or where the shells meet. I know we cant feed them Pumpkin, cabbage, and a few others so often, perhaps once every other week. Please tell me how am I refusing to learn? So I may not have picked up a few points but I am along the way and I am not refusing to learn or improve.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
More than 1/2 of what you described that you are doing came from someplace else and not from here.. proving you did not read what we told you to.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'm glad you understand that babies need their sleep, and they need a routine.

You should feed at the same time every day. For the first few days, after you set food down, you can wake them up and put them by the tile so long as this is during the DAY not at night. That way, they will learn when the food goes down, and soon you won't have to wake them, or move them at all. I did this with both my babies, and now they eat like piggies.

Keep asking questions, keep learning. Your torts will appreciate it!

samstar

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
More than 1/2 of what you described that you are doing came from someplace else and not from here.. proving you did not read what we told you to.

Dear Terry,
With all due respect, I think I know better what and where I am learning from and I have picked up a lot from this forum.

Kate, Meg,
Thanks for your comments, it's very encouraging.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Just a side note-Some torts will not learn to get up early and get their food, no matter how much of a pig they are. My little guy prefers to sleep well past when his light comes on. As long as he eats each day I let him keep his own hours and don't disturb him. You will have to learn about your tort's behavior and preferences. Most torts however do like to get up soon after their light comes on to get up to bask & eat.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
[/quote]How would you like it if someone woke you up in the middle of the night and shoved a sandwich down your throat?
[/quote]

OK, now I'm getting hungry...

Status
Not open for further replies.