...What am I doing wrong?...

TimmietheTurtle

Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Aloha Everyone.

I reside in Hawaii and I bought a 5 month old Leopard Tortoise from the local pet store couple weeks ago. He is not eating and super lethargic; all day he just hides in his little hut. He has been like this for the past 3 days.

For the first week I had him in a 10 gal tank, that was too small, so i bought a 40 gallon tank. During this time he ate well. I did not have a heat lamp at this point so he was kept around 79 degrees for a week. But he was next to a window pointing outside to the grass so he was active walking on the side of the tank next to the scenery.

I bought a tortoise playpen for outside on the grass. When he was outside he walks around a lot trying to get out of the pen, however when i bring him back inside for the day, he doesnt eat for a day or two after that experience.

After around a week or so i bought all the necessary equipment that i read on this forum and placed him in his new tank. I keep the temperature 95 fahrenheit one side, and 85 fahrenheit on the other side. The moss under the heat lamp is always damp and the humidity is around 60%. He is not next to any window, as i placed him in my library. I did buy a uvb lamp that is on for 12-14 hours a day.

He started with mixed greens, which he ate well. I tried slowly introducing and mixing a little of hibiscus flower, prickly pear cactus, and wet mazuri food -old formula, and he does not eat any of these. So i am back to only feeding him his old mixed greens but he hasnt eaten in 3 days and doesnt move around much at all.

The photo posted was taken after i pulled him out of his cave and soaked him in lukewarm water.

I am worried and stressed out. Any feedback will help. Thanks in advance!

0130181829.jpg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
It takes those little guys a little while to adjust to the new surroundings. Try not to do too much too often to change the environment. Your humidity level seems low to me too. Get it up around 85% +/- to prevent / slow down any pyramiding.

RoseLynn

AR
Oh, the poor thing! When I brought mine home he was quite similar; very lethargic and wouldn’t not accept any food whatsoever. I’d recommend keeping your baby hydrated by warm soaks at least once a day, and bumping up the enclosure humidity levels. Keep offering food. He should definitely eventually start eating. Best of luck to you, keep us updated. <3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think there's been too many changes to his 'territory' too close together. Set him up one time, then leave the living conditions alone. Also, while the enclosure is very eye pleasing, it is awfully wide open for a little prey item. I like to use a lot of fake aquarium plants all around the enclosure to give it a more closed in, safe feel. soak him daily then set him in front of the food and step out of sight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll point out a few things I see, but they may or may not be related to your issue.
  • I agree with previous posters on all points.
  • The substrate should be thicker. Double or triple what you've got, and I would make that change while he is out of the tank soaking.
  • I see the UV tube and what I presume is a CHE in the hood there. I don't see a basking bulb. They need this.
  • If that is a CHE, are you running it on a thermostat?
  • I would not use moss. Some people use it and get aways with it, but all of mine try to eat it. If they eat it, it can cause an impaction and give the symptoms you are seeing.
  • I don't know what type of succulent you've got there in the back, but have you verified it is a safe one for tortoises to eat?
  • Not related to your problem but the little tortoise is going to scratch the heck out of that plexi tank and ruin it.
These things may or may not be related to your problem. It could also be that your tortoise was, in the typical fashion of the last 3 decades, started way too dry and he is suffering the long term effects of renal failure. Do you know how the baby was started in its first few days and weeks after hatching? Here is what I'm talking about: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

By contrast, here is how they should be started:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Here is all the correct care info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, if that thing at the top of the tank is a temp probe, it needs to be at tort level. Heat rises so it's always going to be hotter at the top of the tank.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
I think there's been too many changes to his 'territory' too close together. Set him up one time, then leave the living conditions alone. Also, while the enclosure is very eye pleasing, it is awfully wide open for a little prey item. I like to use a lot of fake aquarium plants all around the enclosure to give it a more closed in, safe feel. soak him daily then set him in front of the food and step out of sight.
Totally agree, while some adjust quickly, most of them can take a while to get comfortable with a new routine/environment.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
try giving him something thats not lettuce.. my little one would not eat lettuce, so i tried other stuff like peas and some good foods for him.. he eats alot now.