what am I??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redtails

5 Year Member
Hi all, can you help me identify this tortoise i have looked after this for a friend who says she has had this tort since her 10 th birthday, some 26 years later "Max" has only grown a little so his age is a bit of a mystery.
thank you

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
That is a female Spur-thigh tortoise, Testudo graeca ibera. She is quite big :D She is probably about 40 years old.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Redtails:

Welcome to the forum!! I hope that she isn't living all the time in that small box. She's quite fat and could use some exercise. Where are you located? Is the weather good enough that she can go outside for a bit?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
egyptiandan said:
That is a female Spur-thigh tortoise, Testudo graeca ibera. She is quite big :D She is probably about 40 years old.

Danny

Danny...

You da man! This is the FIRST spur-thigh I've EVER seen. Very cool indeed.:)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
WOW SHE'S HUGE! I agree that she's a bit on the overweight side though---girl needs some outside time!

I'd love to see a Greek that big in person! :D

Redtails

5 Year Member
Hi
Thank you all for the info i will pass this on to "Maxine's" owner, the owner thought it was a Herman's! and has always treated as one , even to the point of hibernation, we boarded this Tort over the last two weeks, she was [as from the owner ] given tinned peaches tined peas, Mushrooms,marrow fat peas, tomatoes, and other greens, she also has an enclosure which when at home is attached to her box.
if you can pass on any advice for Maxine,s owner will be greatly received.
again thank you all.
Gary.
i am also looking for an adult pair of Sulcatas as a display at our Little Zoo.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
A natural diet of weeds and broadleafs from a chemical-free garden would be preferred, but in a pinch good lettuces (not iceberg and limited romaine--you want the dark and leafy stuff) and greens like spring mix (no spinach, look for ingredients such as oak lettuce, mizuna, romaine, radicchio, endive, etc), dandelion, turnip, collard, etc, can be used. Russiantortoise.org has a good list of greens (Russians and Greeks eat the same greens). You can also browse this forum for some other lists.

Torts should not have fruit, tomatoes, starchy stuff like peas or cabbage, or veggies. You basically shouldn't feed anything from a can either. The current diet is very inappropriate, but hopefully if it is turned about the tort won't have problems. You want to stick to what they would get in the wild--weeds and greens. Edible flowers are great as long as they don't have pesticides or fertilizers, same as all other foods fed to them. The greens from most veggies are good. Look up a list of safe plants to feed from the garden if they have access to stuff without chemicals. The best diet is that grown in the backyard and the tort is allowed to graze on it when the weather is warm enough in a safe enclosure. In cooler weather greens from the garden can be picked, and if nothing from the garden is available, then is when you want to find organic lettuces and greens from the grocery store.

This species can be hibernated, but it is not a necessity.

It would be helpful to see photos of the enclosure and have more information so we can advise about her care.

What type of space and habitat is available for the Sulcatas? Do you have acres upon which for them to graze? What are the temperatures like where you live? You may not be able to house a male and female together due to bullying/mating, and what would you do with eggs? I wish you luck in that. If you post where you live, we may be able to point you in the direction of some resources. You can also post an ad on this forum: http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-37.html

dielawn

5 Year Member
Someone repost the pictures the links are broken! I want to see her too!

Status
Not open for further replies.