Who am I?

Happy_camper

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi. A good friend is moving to NY and offered me their tortoise (I've had them in past and have great yard etc) so he/she doesn't have to be in the cold. They got it from a school who got it from who knows where. S/he is quite battle worn and has a really thick shell. Can you help identify the species? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220722_152236.jpg
    20220722_152236.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220722_152209.jpg
    20220722_152209.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220722_152159.jpg
    20220722_152159.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220722_152151.jpg
    20220722_152151.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Happy_camper

Tortoise Club
San Diego, CA
Yes, she seems to have had some crazy growth history in the past (before my friends), and many scutes are beat up. But she seems perky with a good appetite and has been getting great sun at their house. With the wear it is hard for me to tell her species. I don't know if her really thick plastron is from poor diet in the past or species specific.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Poor thing! I hope she is in better hands now!

She looks like she's been run over or thrown or something. 😭😭😭 I'm a complete newbie, so could be WAY wrong. She has the most loving little face.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Poor thing! I hope she is in better hands now!

She looks like she's been run over or thrown or something. 😭😭😭 I'm a complete newbie, so could be WAY wrong. She has the most loving little face.
Yes, she's been around all right! Tough old gal. Love and proper care is much deserved.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. A good friend is moving to NY and offered me their tortoise (I've had them in past and have great yard etc) so he/she doesn't have to be in the cold. They got it from a school who got it from who knows where. S/he is quite battle worn and has a really thick shell. Can you help identify the species? Thanks!
Its hard to tell the species with the damage and weathering, but it looks to be a greek or a hermanni. This is the care info for whichever one it is:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi welcome. Looks like the shell has done its job and defended it. Hopefully now you can provide a safe and secure home and new growth will start to show. It will need a secure large enclosure with shade and sunny spots. Next look at diet and I recommend regular warm water shallow soaks to help with hydration and well being. Please read care sheet and ask questions as required.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
That's not a sad tortoise but it is a very old one. The shell growth is rounded and not pyramided but very worn and "eroded". One indication of age besides a lot of wear is that the growth lines both top and bottom begin to develop waviness and squirm away from the even edges they had in the first few years as they grew up. This one has very irregular ones below but it can also be seen up on top. Consider this one a treasure and a rugged survivor that probably had a pretty good life as a younger individual. And I could add that some of the nails could use a bit of a trim.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, here's MY two cents:

I think that at one time in this tortoise's life he was mauled/chewed by an animal (dog, coyote, etc.) and some of the top layer of keratin was scraped off. It's been such a long time ago that now new keratin has grown over the scraped spots. That's why we can't see his original pattern.

@TeamZissou is pretty good at I.D.ing species. Let's see if they can get this one for us.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This looks like it's a Moroccan Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca marokkensis. Aside from the carapace damage, the plastron and everything else looks fairly normal. Tortoises are survivors to be sure!

Glad that you can give her a good home.

Happy_camper

Tortoise Club
San Diego, CA
That's not a sad tortoise but it is a very old one. The shell growth is rounded and not pyramided but very worn and "eroded". One indication of age besides a lot of wear is that the growth lines both top and bottom begin to develop waviness and squirm away from the even edges they had in the first few years as they grew up. This one has very irregular ones below but it can also be seen up on top. Consider this one a treasure and a rugged survivor that probably had a pretty good life as a younger individual. And I could add that some of the nails could use a bit of a trim.
Thank you! The wavy seams have been puzzling me and I wondered if the wear was indicative of age. I am sure she could tell some stories!

Happy_camper

Tortoise Club
San Diego, CA
This looks like it's a Moroccan Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca marokkensis. Aside from the carapace damage, the plastron and everything else looks fairly normal. Tortoises are survivors to be sure!

Glad that you can give her a good home.
Thank you for helping sort out who she is!