What antibiotic?

IndianStarTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Grand Cayman
recently bubbles started coming out of my tort's nose and i thought it was just some cough and cold (i am a new tort owner) but then i read about urtd and stuff and now i am scare and so what antibiotics do i give it? pls help me out all the help will be appreciated

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
recently bubbles started coming out of my tort's nose and i thought it was just some cough and cold (i am a new tort owner) but then i read about urtd and stuff and now i am scare and so what antibiotics do i give it? pls help me out all the help will be appreciated
Welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to hear your tortoise is sick. If your tortoise needs antibiotics, it will need to be seen by an experienced vet with knowledge of tortoises. The vet will have to prescribe medication and the proper dosage for its size and weight.

Usually a respiratory infection is caused by the tortoise living in an environment that is too cool and sometimes just boosting the heat can clear things up. Can you post pictures of your enclosure and specific details about the temperatures (cool side, warm side, basking) and humidity? What kind of bulbs are you using for heat and UV?

Here is an excellent care sheet you can read over as well.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hi, bubbles do indicate a respitory infection. You will have to get antibiotics like fortaz or ceftazadime. They don't burn, and don't have to be injected or given orally often. You need to go to a qualified exotic vet, but be careful, some don't know the proper treatments, more experienced members like @Tom @maggie3fan can way in.
These bubbles indicate your temperatures are off.
Follow this guide religiously.
Raise the temperatures slightly to be warmer than in the guide because of the infection.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Turn over all temps upto 85 day and night and see if the bubbles go away.
If he is acting fine, still eating, he is probably fine and the higher temps will work. Keep the temps up until bubbles are gone and then for a week or even 2 after they are gone
If you see anything get worse then get a vet visit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't need medicine. You need the correct conditions for this species. They need it hot. Day and night. Do you have night heat on them? We are talking about an Indian star tortoise, right?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Agreed with @Tom proper conditions in the environment will bring a healthier tortoise.

pictures of enclosure, set up temps on cool side and basking are needed.

diet, as well as how much soaking he/she gets

the entire shabam is needed in order to help correct anything that can be leading to lethargy.

Medicine sometimes only makes things worse for tortoises. Especially if they are small and young it’s very dangerous on their organs let alone having an infection.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
there are documented instances of indian stars having an anaphylactic reaction to baytril , i personally agree with the suggestion of ceftazidime as a first option ,if it doesn't work there are alternatives to fluoroquinolones ...... from what i've seen when an animal becomes symptomatic , they have been sick for quite awhile , becoming symptomatic is often times followed suddenly by death .......

as far as baytril being painful ,while i've never injected it in myself , i've injected it many times in turtles and tortoises , it sure appears to be somewhat painful ...... painful and curative have nothing to do with each other ....... medically i've not seen pain be much of a deterent to proper treatment ..... i've gotten cortizone shots before in my knee , my foot , and my elbow , they seem to try and find the most painful spot they can to stick a large guage needle in and move it around , it can be extremely painful , going to the dentist can be pretty uncomfortable itself ........ the pain has no bearing on the effectiveness of the treatment ....

IndianStarTortoise

Grand Cayman
You don't need medicine. You need the correct conditions for this species. They need it hot. Day and night. Do you have night heat on them? We are talking about an Indian star tortoise, right?
I like in Kolkata, India temps and humidity is very high like very so I don’t think my tort will need something extra but I do have one 50w uva uvb light for the winters so could you guide me on that and what to feed my tortoises