What could we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
My Sulcata Lily is a little over a pound. We don't know exactly how old she is. She is somewhere between 2 and a half or three yrs old. Me and my grandma have been her care takers for 3 and a half months. Well, since Mothers Day. I don't think she is small for her age. Pyramiding has started but we have it under control.
We live in Central Oregon. In the winter its usually 28 degrees or higher(or lower in bad winters) so she won't be able to live outside full-time. Well, until I live my dream of going to Arizona and having a back yard full of Sulcatas :)
In the Summer she is usually in her inside enclosure, in her plastic swimming pen, or in her carrier going to Peterson's Rock Garden where she enjoys the sun and a bunch of weeds:)
I don't know when she will be able to live outside in the summer. Of course we will bring her in at the night but what about in the winter? Me and my grandma have talked about having a room dedicated to her but I've heard that they can destroy houses pretty easily so I have been thinking about what else we can do and I can't think of anything. Please give me ideas!
Sorry for rambling on and on!!
~lll

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Don't forget that we have the big cyclone fence area that we call our garden for her! We have a 4x4 ft little fenced raised garden spot for her right now when she is outside. I think Jess is more worried about winter indoors when Lily gets bigger. If there are any sulcata owners in cold climates...what do you do with your larger sulcatas in the winter??? I wish I had a BIG solarium!!! Win the lottery Jess!!! Love you! Grandma :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For this winter, it sounds like she might still be small enough for a nice inside table enclosure. When she gets big can you build her a heated shed?

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yes, her inside enclosure is plenty big for her still and we have a kid's swimming pool with indoor/outdoor carpet in it for exercise every day that she likes in the room also. I think it will be a few years before Lily gets big enough that we have to worry. Yes, we could get her a nice little shed house big enough for winter and wire it for heat. Good Idea!!! Maybe I will have that solarium by then!!! :)

I hope. AFTER we win the lottery we can buy a NEW house with a huge room she can have AND have a sun room for her. I know she would appreciate it!
~lll

Status
Not open for further replies.