What do I do with this tortoise?

Ann Carter

Hubby found a tortoise in the middle of the road about to be crushed by a tractor. I have no idea how to look after it. For tonight I have put it in a dog cage with water in a low oven tray, tomatoes,lettuce and cucumber. I have put a towel in to keep it warm. As from tomorrow, what do I do? As there is very little chance of its owner being found here in rural France, we need to be able to look after it properly.
I've included a not so good picture as it was asleep, but here it is.

P1020746.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hubby found a tortoise in the middle of the road about to be crushed by a tractor. I have no idea how to look after it. For tonight I have put it in a dog cage with water in a low oven tray, tomatoes,lettuce and cucumber. I have put a towel in to keep it warm. As from tomorrow, what do I do? As there is very little chance of its owner being found here in rural France, we need to be able to look after it properly.
I've included a not so good picture as it was asleep, but here it is.

Looks to me like a WILD Mediterranean Spur thigh Tortoise (I am not always the best at id'g by pic, so lets ask some others for their input as well)....but what I do know is---that tortoise is clearly a wild tortoise, the shell is evident of that...you say the tortoise was in the middle of the road....perhaps you go to the same area and move it into the brush in the direction it was headed....this is the time of year for torts to be out and about looking for some mating action.....what type of surrounding is the area from which it was taken from....

@HermanniChris
@tortadise

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

That was :) sweet of you to have picked up the tortoise, saved it and then decided to look after it. I sincerely hope you get the info you need SOON. Good luck.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Where in France are you located, south?
The blanket won't keep him warm, because torts are cold blooded animals. So you'll need a heater or lamp, depending on the temperature of the room.
Hope somebody else can give you more info, good luck!

Ann Carter

Looks to me like a WILD Mediterranean Spur thigh Tortoise (I am not always the best at id'g by pic, so lets ask some others for their input as well)....but what I do know is---that tortoise is clearly a wild tortoise, the shell is evident of that...you say the tortoise was in the middle of the road....perhaps you go to the same area and move it into the brush in the direction it was headed....this is the time of year for torts to be out and about looking for some mating action.....what type of surrounding is the area from which it was taken from....

@HermanniChris
@tortadise
I must admit I've never heard of wild tortoises in this part of France. We are in the Poitou-Charente, which is sort of middle west of France. I did think the shell looked a bit rough, but knowing how the French can be with their pets, wasn't surprised. Where it was found it is likely to end up in some farming machinery so I am a little apprehensive about returning it to where it was found. I do appreciate you help though and thank you for replying.

Ann Carter

The blanket won't keep him warm, because torts are cold blooded animals. So you'll need a heater or lamp, depending on the temperature of the room.
We are in the Poitou-Charente, Middle West, so not south France. It is pretty hot here at the moment. I'll leave the towel, until I can get something better, even if it doesn't keep him warm (how stupid am I), it will give him (or her) something to hide in.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I must admit I've never heard of wild tortoises in this part of France. We are in the Poitou-Charente, which is sort of middle west of France. I did think the shell looked a bit rough, but knowing how the French can be with their pets, wasn't surprised. Where it was found it is likely to end up in some farming machinery so I am a little apprehensive about returning it to where it was found. I do appreciate you help though and thank you for replying.

Oh, I see the confusion to my prior response....while I did say wild, I did not say native to your area....the exact reason you mention about the shell is part of the reason I believe you have a tortoise that is and was living wild...there is a difference between wild and native...apology for my cause of confusion....as you will also see at the bottom of my prior post--I have invited two other members I am confident will be able to tell you the species you have...in the event you are going to keep the tortoise....and yes, a large problem with the demise of tortoise is farmland taking over their space....good luck on your research ....if you research the tortoise and its care, you will find lots of good information on how to offer warmth and the needed uv rays....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The best thing to do would be to release it back I to the wild upon proper identification. If indeed a native testudo to your area releasing it would be best. They're endangered in France/Spain from habitat loss so each species left in the wild is the best chance for the population to hopefully increase. Some good photos of it's plastron(underside) and a clear pic from the top will help.

Ann Carter

Oh, I see the confusion to my prior response....while I did say wild, I did not say native to your area....the exact reason you mention about the shell is part of the reason I believe you have a tortoise that is and was living wild...there is a difference between wild and native...apology for my cause of confusion....as you will also see at the bottom of my prior post--I have invited two other members I am confident will be able to tell you the species you have...in the event you are going to keep the tortoise....and yes, a large problem with the demise of tortoise is farmland taking over their space....good luck on your research ....if you research the tortoise and its care, you will find lots of good information on how to offer warmth and the needed uv rays....
Thanks again. I will do lots of research, as although i never intended on having a tortoise, I know have the responsibility of giving it a good and healthy life. It wouldn't be safe for me to return it to the wild at the moment with all the activity of the farmers at this time of year.

Ann Carter

The best thing to do would be to release it back I to the wild upon proper identification. If indeed a native testudo to your area releasing it would be best. They're endangered in France/Spain from habitat loss so each species left in the wild is the best chance for the population to hopefully increase. Some good photos of it's plastron(underside) and a clear pic from the top will help.
I'll post some photos tomorrow, as if it is wild, I don't want to mess it about too much tonight. It is safe in a cage. It is pretty warm here at the moment, so hope as suggested it won't need a heat lamp tonight, not that I have one.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'll post some photos tomorrow, as if it is wild, I don't want to mess it about too much tonight. It is safe in a cage. It is pretty warm here at the moment, so hope as suggested it won't need a heat lamp tonight, not that I have one.
That will be fine. It looks from this angle like a Greek. It's definitely old. If it's a hermanns(which it doesn't look like from the pic you provided) they are incredibly endangered in France. We have a great tortoise researcher who lives in France. Could try and get in touch with him to take it for you if possibles unless you want to keep it. But @HermanniChris will know a lot more on the testudo genus here and identification as well.

Ann Carter

That will be fine. It looks from this angle like a Greek. It's definitely old. If it's a hermanns(which it doesn't look like from the pic you provided) they are incredibly endangered in France. We have a great tortoise researcher who lives in France. Could try and get in touch with him to take it for you if possibles unless you want to keep it. But @HermanniChris will know a lot more on the testudo genus here and identification as well.
I'll get more photos tomorrow as the light will be better. If I could find a home that knows how to look after it, then as long as they know what they are doing I would give it to them. I would only keep it for its own safety, but would make sure I have all information to care for it correctly. I do a lot of rescue for the furry kind, never had experience with a shelled variety. As with any animal in my care, its welfare comes first. I really appreciate all the help

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'll get more photos tomorrow as the light will be better. If I could find a home that knows how to look after it, then as long as they know what they are doing I would give it to them. I would only keep it for its own safety, but would make sure I have all information to care for it correctly. I do a lot of rescue for the furry kind, never had experience with a shelled variety. As with any animal in my care, its welfare comes first. I really appreciate all the help
Your very welcome. Look forward to tomorrow(which will be super early for us here across the pond)

Ann Carter

Your very welcome. Look forward to tomorrow(which will be super early for us here across the pond)
Last question before photos. I had a quick read on google and it said not to leave water with it. I've left it with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber will that be ok for it short term?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That should be fine, they don't eat tomatoes though, water is ok too, but just the way he is fine for now.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It does not appear to be a Hermann's tortoise (T. hermanni hermanni) which is the ONLY native species of tortoise to France, rather it looks like a Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca ssp.) which are introduced but there are only scattered reports of this. Please post good photos of the animal wetted down so I can properly I.D. it for you. I need to see top and bottom. It may be an escaped pet. Have you contacted anyone over at the Gonfaron Tortoise Preserve?

Ann Carter

It does not appear to be a Hermann's tortoise (T. hermanni hermanni) which is the ONLY native species of tortoise to France, rather it looks like a Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca ssp.) which are introduced but there are only scattered reports of this. Please post good photos of the animal wetted down so I can properly I.D. it for you. I need to see top and bottom. It may be an escaped pet. Have you contacted anyone over at the Gonfaron Tortoise Preserve?
hello there, no I haven't contacted anyone as my husband only found it this afternoon and I didn't get home till late evening. I will contact the place you suggested. I'll wet its shell when taking photos. Do I need to wet the bottom and is it ok to turn it on its back? Photos to follow tomorrow when light is better. Thank you

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ok thanks. No need to wet the bottom and yes it's fine to turn them over for a brief period.

Ann Carter

Ok thanks. No need to wet the bottom and yes it's fine to turn them over for a brief period.
Just read about Gonfaron Tortoise Preserve and I think I will probably take it there, if they will have it. It would be a weekend away, but it seems that they would be able to give it the best life. I will still send photos tomorrow though.