What do I do?

Rhea&Hendricks

5 Year Member
image.jpg 0442123D-5CF8-41D1-A8D6-96DD9FC0262C.jpeg image.jpg 0442123D-5CF8-41D1-A8D6-96DD9FC0262C.jpeg Hi all ,
This is my first post on here but I’ve had my leopard tortoise for about 4 1/2 years now and I’ve always had half Sandy half beach chippings. I tried putting pink sand in and I soon learnt this was a bad idea I now have tortoise bedding substrates but she is still eating it ... should I be worried ? I asked the local reptile place and they said that this bedding would be fine but I’m just a bit worried as she is still eating it .... any help is appreciated
Rhea

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi Rhea.

The stuff that is on the left of your enclosure is called orchid bark. That is what should be all over the enclosure. No sand. Not even as part of a mix. Pet shops generally have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to tortoise care and usually sell people the wrong stuff. Encouraging the tortoise to eat its substrate by putting the limestone bits in it is craziness.

Your tortoise is also ready for a much larger enclosure. That one is now too small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your 4 year old leopard tortoise is very small for his age. I have a 6 month old leopard that is bigger than your tortoise. I'm guessing yours is small because he's been raised in a fairly dry environment.

Judging from the picture on the bag of substrate, I'm thinking that this substrate is more 'dirt-like' than bark??? And like Tom said, the little white particles in it encourage the tortoise to eat it. I wouldn't use that substrate. I like orchid bark, like what you have on the left side of the tank in your second picture. You can keep it moist and if they accidentally eat it it won't cause impaction.

So, to answer your "what do I do?" question, I'd go back to your original substrate, but not the sand, and I'd keep it moist. I'd also set the baby up in a larger enclosure, and I'd start feeding it fresh greens and weeds, soaking him in water daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas