What do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I am 45 and have been a stay at home mom for 17 year. I have done odd jobs while being home with my kids. I baby sat I taught living skills to dissabled adults, sold jewelry and I worked as a yard duty. Before kids I was a waitress. Now that my youngest is going to middle school (this coming year) I am wanting (needing) to get a job, but not sure what I am qualified to do. Also I am afaid that in this bad economy it will really be hard to find a job working around my kids schedules. I am not complaining I have enjoyed being with my kids :) I just with I had job skills or an interest in something that paid.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
currently unemployed (laid off) use to work for San Bernardino County/Parks, I was one of the folks that did all to maintain the 800+ acre wildlife/camping park...(revenue,supplies, heavy equipment, built structures, plumbing, concrete work, irrigation, tons of customer care service, sewage lift station operation/maint., mojave river way maint.) absolute fav :D

before that;
licensed personal lines insurance agent (11 years or so)
(this was the job that made me crazy :p but was damn good at it)

Reading Tutor
Trained staff at finance co.
Dog trainer (4 years, another of my favs but did not pay enough then)
Purchaser of aircraft turbine engines
Marketing Assist for Insurance Broker
worked at a kennel, was hagen daz sample girl, etc etc etc :p

My future goal is Biologist, with reptile focus, desert tort preservation.

I think I over did the reply..... LOL

well hell, forgot ---43 years old, will be 44 next month...wow, I don't know how it goes so fast :D

Jedi

5 Year Member
Inglewood, CA
Police Officer. I work three days 12.5 shifts. For the last year I have been working a weekday day shift, but wishing I worked graveyard for the summer. Carrying over 20lbs over gear in a all dark wool uniform is hot.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ALDABRAMAN said:
RETIRED!

* Law Enforcement

* Real Estate / Investor

* Aldabra Tortoise Breeder

Redfoot NERD said:
RETIRED

* play with a camera --- trying to figure out how they work?

* hatch and sell a redfoot tortoise occasionally.. barely supports the habit.

* Secured/unsecured loan OUTSIDE-COLLECTOR.. which means I had to find the ones that were more than 90 days past due and get them to pay. It got "interesting" at times! I had to be "tactful" not mean - surprise!

* self-employed sales for well over 35 years.. too lazy to work...

LUCKY!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm a moderator on the Tortoise Forum!!!

No, just kidding:

I worked for 30 years and retired from AT&T as a Communications Engineer. Been retired for almost 20 years. Taking care of the tortoises and building pens and shelters takes up a good portion of my day, and then I play on the computer or read mystery novels.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I am a front office medical receptionist/assistant for a rhuematologist. I have been in the health care field for about 5/6 years now. I used to work for an oncologist.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am an unpaid contributor to TFO
I do online surveys to make money, I also am a part time ebay seller, plus I sell on CL, I am also looking to start a few businesses and a forum or two.

I also would like to be a full time tortoise breeder of a few choice species, and I volunteer to take over for aldabraman if anything ever happens to him.

Before the real estate bubble popped I was a notary public who did mortgage loans, and I have plans to one day be a part time lawyer. Also when I grow up I wan to be a fire engine ( CLANG CLANG CLANG)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Sulcatifornia said:
We stay at home with my autistic son Shamus, homeschooling. Me and my boyfriend Eric resell items we either find or buy on craigslist, we also have several at home projects to help with the bills and are always coming up with more.
Spending a 3rd or more of our time in life working unhappily for someone else, for companies that don't care about anyone but the bottom line, isn't our idea of "making a living". :D

Amen to that!!!! :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Im 48, Ive done Wildlife rehab, Conservation, Some commercial work like Tom.. ;-) Vet work and new carreer at 40.. Animal Control. Never thought Id be in law Enforcement.. the gear and the wonderful flattering uniforms!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Wow I am blown away by the things you all have done. Angela ~ I am so suprised at the jobs you have done. Laura~ your life sounds exciting. Jacqui~ ALL I can say is WOW! TerryO~Two boys have been hard for me:). And some of you I already knew about your exciting careers. It is fun to hear. Great thread Fernando.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Well, before Insurance I drove fork lifts for a fortune 500 Carpet company. Loading and unloading rolls of carpet into big rig trucks all night long, during my grave yard shift.

So when the opportunity came to get involved in the insurance industry, you can only imagine how quick I jumped on that one!

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Nursing Student, Mama, Seamstress, etc etc. Nothing exciting. Debating on trying to find a job for this next semester or rack up some more loans. :/ Thinking about driving a cab.
Oh, 28.

terryo said:
then I got married, and had 5 kids.....all boys.
I have 2 boys and every time I hear someone that had all boys my heart skips a beat. Can't I have just one girl? ;)

Jacqui said:
For atleast three more weeks, I am once again an Over the road truckdriver. It sucks that I finally found a job I love, but it takes me away from the world I love. :(
My mom was an OTR driver for 8ish years. She loved it, but ultimately came back home for that very reason.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
Jedi said:
Police Officer. I work three days 12.5 shifts. For the last year I have been working a weekday day shift, but wishing I worked graveyard for the summer. Carrying over 20lbs over gear in a all dark wool uniform is hot.

Hot? :) Try 120 pounds of gear in 130 degrees! Naw man, kuddos to cops!

I am 28 years old. I am a hospital corpsman in the Navy, currently stationed in Naples, Italy. Before this, I spent 4 years at Camp Pendleton with 1st Marine Division. 2 deployments to Iraq and one coming up in March to Afghanistan!

B K

5 Year Member
I'm in the medical field. I use to put in new knees and hips and fixing broken bones but now I sell the stuff to do that.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Tom said:
I, ummm... train dogs...

Never would have guessed, lol! :p

terryo said:
I am a cook, nurse, seamstress, cleaning woman, chauffeur, teacher, psychologist, waiter.......in other words, I am a stay-at-home Mom and wife. I used to be a private secretary for the manager of a bank......then I got married, and had 5 kids.....all boys. One is still home, so I haven't retired yet. :p

Terryo, you are a mom, you don't get to retire, silly :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
wrmitchell22 said:
Tom said:
I, ummm... train dogs...

Never would have guessed, lol! :p

terryo said:
I am a cook, nurse, seamstress, cleaning woman, chauffeur, teacher, psychologist, waiter.......in other words, I am a stay-at-home Mom and wife. I used to be a private secretary for the manager of a bank......then I got married, and had 5 kids.....all boys. One is still home, so I haven't retired yet. :p

Terryo, you are a mom, you don't get to retire, silly :)

Sometimes you don't even retire when the 'leave' home, lol

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I forgot to mention I have a diploma in Professional Dog Training, but after 6 years wasn't able to make a living doing it, thats when I finally got into Law enforcement, I wanted ot be a cop since I was 5 years old.

@ Jedi, I totally agree, most of my jobs requires, hiking a long way with a lot of gear. Right now I am assigned to an office compiling Intelligence, so I got a lucky break for now :) But I love my job either way!

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
I work at a bank as a software designer and developer, working with high dollar payment systems.

Hey - Wake up!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.