What has been going on here, I asked myself ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
With a storm going on here in Sweden at the moment, I just went out to my "Red Room" to check out if my RF's was warm and cosy, and I found something "fishy" had been going on... Mimmi was leaving a spot just when I opened the door, right under the red heat lamps in the top terrarium and it looked a bit messy !

What do you think has been going on ?

Mimmi_Fifth_Clutch_2011_1.JPG

So I started to remove the top layer, and something white turned up...

Mimmi_Fifth_Clutch_2011_2.JPG

I thought the breeding season was over here in Sweden, but it seems like it will be a 365 day breeding season from now on ?

Three fine looking eggs again, weight around 40-45 grams each, and that was nineteen in total for Mimmi this year.

Mimmi_Fifth_Clutch_2011_3.JPG

I have to consider to build yet another incubator, since this one will soon be full if the RF's is going continue like this ?

Mimmi_Fifth_Clutch_2011_4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I wouldn't worry about another incubator just yet. You can place the eggs touching each other,as many as will fit,in the containers. You still have plenty of room left for eggs.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
But even if you DID have to build another incubator, some how I don't think you would be too heartbroken over the reason for it. :D

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
jackrat said:
I wouldn't worry about another incubator just yet. You can place the eggs touching each other,as many as will fit,in the containers. You still have plenty of room left for eggs.

No, I'm actually not worried at all mr Redfootman, not for that reason. But it would be quite handy to have a spare one or one to move over all the eggs into while doing maintenance on the other one ? Since the eggs just keep coming all the time, there is no way one can empty it for a real good cleanup and other thingies ?

Jacqui said:
But even if you DID have to build another incubator, some how I don't think you would be too heartbroken over the reason for it. :D

You could not be more correct there Jacqui ;)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Nice surprize, I was hoping mine would lay today here in sunny southern calif. Its 80 degrees plus today

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
bigred said:
Nice surprize, I was hoping mine would lay today here in sunny southern calif. Its 80 degrees plus today

Jeezz mr Bigred, that sounds really nice ! Normally we have between -5C and -10C this time of year, but we have what they call an "Indian summer" here this early winter and that mean +10C ! No ReadFoots outdoors, but nice anyway, if it wouldnt be for this storm...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Mike ... sweettttt! ... I have a couple of females who do the same thing ...will lay inside the hut! ....Then there are the one's ( even tonight !) who lay outside.....congrads on the new eggs ...how many in the cooker now?

JD~:)

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
N2TORTS said:
Mike ... sweettttt! ... I have a couple of females who do the same thing ...will lay inside the hut! ....Then there are the one's ( even tonight !) who lay outside.....congrads on the new eggs ...how many in the cooker now?

JD~:)

Thanks, I've got 18 in the cooker, 15 of them is Mimmi's (lost 4 from her first two clutches that wasn't fertile) and 3 belongs to another female.

Status
Not open for further replies.