What is coming out of my tortoise help

Julianabaz

Location (City and/or State)
California
Yesterday when I was giving my tortoise a bath he pooped out a long *** log then when I looked at his butt there was something else that wasn’t quite out yet that didn’t look like poop. When I put him in the water it went back in, the same thing happened today.

He is 1 so we don’t actually know the gender and he seems to be acting pretty normal for the most part

Attachments

• IMG_3336.jpeg
    IMG_3336.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3335.jpeg
    IMG_3335.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yesterday when I was giving my tortoise a bath he pooped out a long *** log then when I looked at his butt there was something else that wasn’t quite out yet that didn’t look like poop. When I put him in the water it went back in, the same thing happened today.

He is 1 so we don’t actually know the gender and he seems to be acting pretty normal for the most part
Your tortoise is a male and you are seeing the tip of the penis.

zovick

10 Year Member!
WHAT I was told I’d have to wait till he was like 7 or 8 years old to tell the gender
Your tortoise could be older than you think. Do you know when your tortoise was hatched? That is the only real way to knows its age. If you were not provided with its hatch date when you got it, anything else you were told is simply a guesstimate. Also what species is it and where did you get it?

If you got it from a pet store, it is quite likely a good bit older than one year of age. Many pet store buyers are given inaccurate age information by the pet stores.

Also just FYI, I have had three year old tortoises show their penises. I have never had that experience with a one year old in 60+ years of keeping and breeding tortoises.

Last edited:

Julianabaz

California
Your tortoise could be older than you think. Do you know when your tortoise was hatched? That is the only real way to knows its age. If you were not provided with its hatch date when you got it, anything else you were told is simply a guesstimate. Also what species is it and where did you get it?

If you got it from a pet store, it is quite likely a good bit older than one year of age. Many pet store buyers are given inaccurate age information by the pet stores.

Also just FYI, I have had three year old tortoises show their penises. I have never had that experience with a one year old in 60+ years of keeping and breeding tortoises.
I got it as a Christmas present And he was only 3 months old at that time so the hatch date would be around September 25 so he’s almost 2. He is a Greek tortoise

Julianabaz

California

I got him at the East bay Vivarium

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a male leopard that show me when he was 2 almost 3. Then I have one that is the same age, both 12 now and he has never flashed me. I know it's a male because leopards are one of many that get a concaved plastron/bottom shell.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I got it as a Christmas present And he was only 3 months old at that time so the hatch date would be around September 25 so he’s almost 2. He is a Greek tortoise
I still wonder if the tortoise was actually only 3 months old when you got it. Did the salesperson at East Bay tell you that? If so, it may have been an inadvertent error on their part because if they did not breed and hatch it themselves, they very often just take a wild guess at it and they always seem to guess on the low side. We see that scenario on the TFO very frequently.

Was the tortoise 4" long when you got it? That is the legal size for sale of young turtles/tortoises, especially in pet stores. If it was 4" long, there is no way it could be only 3 months old.

Do you have any photos of him from right around the time when you got him? Seeing some of them might be helpful in determining if that age you were told at the time was correct or not.

Julianabaz

California
I still wonder if the tortoise was actually only 3 months old when you got it. Did the salesperson at East Bay tell you that? If so, it may have been an inadvertent error on their part because if they did not breed and hatch it themselves, they very often just take a wild guess at it and they always seem to guess on the low side. We see that scenario on the TFO very frequently.

Was the tortoise 4" long when you got it? That is the legal size for sale of young turtles/tortoises, especially in pet stores. If it was 4" long, there is no way it could be only 3 months old.

Do you have any photos of him from right around the time when you got him? Seeing some of them might be helpful in determining if that age you were told at the time was correct or not.
He was pretty small when I got him but idk the details since I was surprised with him. Here’s some pictures of when I first got him

Attachments

• 66215991800__228E2987-83EB-4B3E-A6EC-D87CD262D341.jpeg
    66215991800__228E2987-83EB-4B3E-A6EC-D87CD262D341.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5753.jpeg
    IMG_5753.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5766.jpeg
    IMG_5766.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

zovick

10 Year Member!
He was pretty small when I got him but idk the details since I was surprised with him. Here’s some pictures of when I first got him
Well, I have to say he does look fairly young in the pictures. So maybe he was only 3 months old when you got him. That would make him pretty close to two years old now (as you said earlier). Still, he is rather young to be everting his penis now IMHO. It would seem he is just precocious!