What is safe???

LeeB60

Location (City and/or State)
Neola Ut
Hi, I'm Lee and I have a tortoise named little dude. I didn't introduce myself at first because I was so worried about him. He is doing much better. I just read it online that kale is not safe for him! So right now he gets Romaine yellow pepper carrots red leaf lettuce and collards a little bit. I also give him dandelion if I can find it. I'm just hoping that someone here will help me learn what is best for my tortoise to eat? There's too many different ideas when I Google. Thank you

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Are yellow peppers and broccoli ok? Some sites say it's OK, others say no.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
neither of them are very harmful, but they aren’t the best food source. What species is your tortoise? If you don’t know, you can put a picture here

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Technically pepper's are fruit. Albeit without a bunch of sugars that we normally associate with fruit.
I believe that both peppers and broccoli can be fed in small quantities to a Russian. But neither should be a regular food item.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I'm Lee and I have a tortoise named little dude. I didn't introduce myself at first because I was so worried about him. He is doing much better. I just read it online that kale is not safe for him! So right now he gets Romaine yellow pepper carrots red leaf lettuce and collards a little bit. I also give him dandelion if I can find it. I'm just hoping that someone here will help me learn what is best for my tortoise to eat? There's too many different ideas when I Google. Thank you
Kale is fine once in a while, and so are the other foods you mentioned. Broadleaf weeds should be the main diet. Read this for the care care info and diet:

I think the link from @ZEROPILOT is dead. I clicked on it and it said "404 Not Found"... The one I linked is from the same author, me, but it is the updated version.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Kale is fine once in a while, and so are the other foods you mentioned. Broadleaf weeds should be the main diet. Read this for the care care info and diet:

I think the link from @ZEROPILOT is dead. I clicked on it and it said "404 Not Found"... The one I linked is from the same author, me, but it is the updated version.
It IS indeed a dead end and I've removed the link.
Thank you

Reactions: Tom