What is this plant?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
My neighbor gave me this little plant, he said it would get big. But he didn’t have any idea what it was. Any clue?
IMG_4634.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, Tina. . . I don't recognize it. Let's see if @Iochroma knows what it is.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
I needed to identify a plant that grew quickly. It's out of reach for Bomber, but wondered if it was safe. The nursery identified the family, which didn't help me much because I am plant challenged. I have trouble even comparing pictures on all the available TFO tables unless extremely obvious. Found this app for iphone. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garden-answers-plant-id/id605855033?mt=8 It seems to be very similar to one that cowboy ken (sulcata forum) posted long ago except they have a per request charge of $1.99 instead of subscription. I sent a picture and it was identified within 2 days (even received email after one day apologizing for the delay due to volume of requests). Anywho...here's what I got. (Chopped it down...8' tall & stem already woody and 2"...after reading the fatal part.

banner.png

nicotiana glauca (nicotiana glauca)
Hello Jim A:

Nicotiana glauca is a species of wild tobacco known by the common name tree tobacco. Its leaves are attached to the stalk by petioles (many other Nicotiana species have sessile leaves), and its leaves and stems are neither pubescent nor sticky like Nicotiana tabacum. It resembles Cestrum parqui but differs in the form of leaves and fusion of the outer floral parts. It grows to heights of more than two meters.

Tree tobacco is native to South America but it is now widespread as an introduced species on other continents. It is a common roadside weed in the southwestern United States, and an invasive plant species in California native plant habitats.

The plant is used for a variety of medicinal purposes and smoked by Native American groups. The Cahuilla Indians used leaves interchangeably with other tobacco species in hunting rituals and as a poultice to treat swellings, bruises, cuts, wounds, boils, sores, inflamed throat, and swollen glands. Contains the toxic alkaloid anabasine. Ingestion of the leaves can be fatal. It is being investigated for use as a biofuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotiana glauca

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I might try that app. I also might try Garden Compass, I think they do a few free once a year. I just thought maybe somebody here would know what it is.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is a very toxic tobacco plant . It will kill your tortiose if eaten. We have them wild in South Texas .A very good friend of mine lost a sulcata to that plant before he identified it. Keep it far away from any animal.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@leigti, in reading this thread I’m not sure we ever identified your plant? Is that correct?

If so, can you get us a picture of the entire plant?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Somebody said it was a tobacco plant but I wasn’t sure if they were talking about mine or the other one pictured in this thread. I’m not sure why a nursery would be selling tobacco plants, the person who gave it to me works at the nursery and this is one of the surplus plants they gave away.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’m pretty sure they meant the other one. I don’t know what yours is but it’s not tree tobacco. Tree tabacco has much more of a gray color to the leaves and they have a different shape. Yours looks kinda hibiscus-y mallow thing to me, which is not very useful. :oops:

This is tree tobacco:

FF4429EF-D90B-4BF1-9B05-4CB69E8FD858.jpeg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I’m pretty sure they meant the other one. I don’t know what yours is but it’s not tree tobacco. Tree tabacco has much more of a gray color to the leaves and they have a different shape. Yours looks kinda hibiscus-y mallow thing to me, which is not very useful. :oops:

This is tree tobacco:

View attachment 245253

I would be thrilled if it was a hibiscus plant. Something the tortoise can eat.