What is this?

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
This is definitely not the scar from the yolk sac, so do not become complacent by thinking that is what you are seeing. That scar would be in the center of the plastron, not coming out of the cloacal opening at the underside of the tail.

Bill, how common is it for a hatchling to extend its penis? I had never heard of that happening.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I operated a tortoise rescue for many years, and the most common thing I saw that was similar to yours is stuck on feces. Soak, soak, soak, and keep trying to pick it off (gently).

zovick

10 Year Member!
Bill, how common is it for a hatchling to extend its penis? I had never heard of that happening.
Not very common in my experience. However I never rule out anything as being impossible. It could be that the tortoise is impacted and the penis extruded as it was pushing hard to move fecal matter (as is seen with older males on occasion).

That being said, the pictures are not clear enough for a definitive statement that the tissue IS actually a penis. It might be prolapsed cloacal tissue rather than a penis, but either way, it is too dried out in appearance to be healthy for the tortoise going forward. The necrotic tissue is somewhat likely to cause a systemic infection if not treated.

An X-ray by a vet might show whether there is a fecal impaction or even a bladder stone causing some type of blockage which would cause a prolapse such as this.

As Yvonne has noted, it could also simply be dried feces and the OP may not be experienced enough in tortoise care to dare to try to remove it, BUT the OP has said several times that it won't come off even after soaking, so I am offering up a few other possibilities in the event that it is NOT feces. A simple trip to the vet would clear up a lot of the mystery here.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I use a tooth brush to brush underneath, around the shell and clean claws try that. P. S permanent pen label the brush tortoise to avoid any other use! That area is very sensitive so be very careful and disinfect brush after each use. Do not go near face with brush as you do not want to transmit infections.

HA Ha! As if that couldn't possibly happen in the soaking water?