WHAT IS THIS???!!!!!!???!?!?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
quote from article ...but yes both pops and I gold mine and diamond mine as a hobby for fun . We have an old Army trailer we have converted into a "field operating mining station"....that includes- Dredger, crushers , sluice boxes, and vibrating tables . Equipped with it's own generators for power source. We can tow behind either of our trucks and have a great day .....of mining fun!
:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
N2TORTS said:
The only significant diamond deposit in North America is Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, Arkansas. It is on government-owned land and has never been systematically developed. For a small fee, tourists can dig there and try to find diamonds.

Been there and done that, but didn't find anything. :D

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I'm a rockdork so I have watching this thread. You speak my language when you start naming minerals, crystalline structure, and geologic processes.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ha ha ha ... " rockdork" ... I love it ! ........

I'm just plain weird! ....:p

Jacqui said:
N2TORTS said:
The only significant diamond deposit in North America is Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, Arkansas. It is on government-owned land and has never been systematically developed. For a small fee, tourists can dig there and try to find diamonds.

ya gotta' take them beer goggles off! ......;):p

today's cool ... Earth Nerd Article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/bolivia-archeologists-lake-titicaca_n_4066670.html

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Jacqui said:
N2TORTS said:

Haha, I can see you finding an old artifact then, skipping it across the lake, then cracking another beer haha. Sounds like a fun day tho. Nothing like being out of the house and doing something, anything

Kyle

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
So ... I scrounged through the garage today since we have been talking about rocks and found these old sample boxes ...just about every rock and mineral types you can name. All of these are crushed to a very fine powder, for running various tests , using instruments such as the Scanning Electron Micro Scope and the Mass Spectrometer.

The one on the right is *Hornblende- A green to black amphibolic mineral, CaNa(Mg,Fe)4(Al,Fe,Ti)3Si6O22(OH,F)2, formed in the late stages of cooling in igneous rock.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
I'M BACK!!! I'm ok to talk, although I am loaded with homework, so I will be going back and forth with this and homework. Any more experiments???

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
So what I'm getting here from you “dirt scientists" is that Crater Lake, Oregon could be a diamond mine. Is that about right?

Cowboy Ken

6 Sulcatas
8 Russians
2 Pancakes
1 Uro
7 Cats
1 Syko Dog
1 Wonderful Wife

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
So what I'm getting here from you “dirt scientists" is that Crater Lake, Oregon could be a diamond mine. Is that about right?

Cowboy Ken

6 Sulcatas
8 Russians
2 Pancakes
1 Uro
7 Cats
1 Syko Dog
1 Wonderful Wife
"Crater Lake is a caldera, the remains of an ancient Pleistocene volcano named Mt. Mazama. The caldera was formed when Mt. Mazama violently erupted some 7600 years ago, causing the entire top of the mountain to fall in on its self. Once it collapsed and sealed, snow melt and rain filled the caldera, and formed what we know now as Crater Lake"
Ken ... I bet down below the lake bed itself.... yes ~
more info and geology here .....http://lpc1.clpccd.cc.ca.us/lpc/hanna/craterlake/crater.htm

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
N2TORTS said:
sulcata101 said:
I'M BACK!!! I'm ok to talk, although I am loaded with homework, so I will be going back and forth with this and homework. Any more experiments???

ok... here is a link for you....to try a little research yourself.
http://www.horsekeeping.com/jewelry/stones2.htm

also .. research Keyword: . Ca. Native Charmstones

JD~:)

I looked at that, I think it could possibly be that...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
N2TORTS said:
So ... I scrounged through the garage today since we have been talking about rocks and found these old sample boxes ...just about every rock and mineral types you can name. All of these are crushed to a very fine powder, for running various tests , using instruments such as the Scanning Electron Micro Scope and the Mass Spectrometer.

The one on the right is *Hornblende- A green to black amphibolic mineral, CaNa(Mg,Fe)4(Al,Fe,Ti)3Si6O22(OH,F)2, formed in the late stages of cooling in igneous rock.

Where do you have all these lab equipment? You own a scanning electron microscope??

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sulcata101 said:
Are we still doing this??

lol.... you mean .. are you still researching this? ~:p
Your teacher called and said ... " no cheating" ..;)

How about a couple of new pictures...

Millerlite said:
Where do you have all these lab equipment? You own a scanning electron microscope??

Actually pop's does ......I think a Mass spec too! .. and of all places in his garage...:p

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I think it might be a fancy collectable-type pendant. I have one that's sandstone, I use it to make my bag different from other peoples... its pretty cool! I'd keep it ;)

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
N2TORTS said:
sulcata101 said:
Are we still doing this??

lol.... you mean .. are you still researching this? ~:p
Your teacher called and said ... " no cheating" ..;)

How about a couple of new pictures...

Millerlite said:

Actually pop's does ......I think a Mass spec too! .. and of all places in his garage...:p

896be5862afa674870126bf8a74cb718_zpsf1575bb2.jpg

9644c6d29c26db7df7ba49e42165f773_zpsd4a6df57.jpg
4ecf957c5e3fbdf08ab582379ef9a2bb_zps1d1b3c9e.jpg

Oh, ok :) I thought everyone just forgot about it :p here are some more pictures.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
NEW FINDINGS!!!!!
So, I went back to Richardson Grove State Park, to the exact tree that I found this in ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696460.992601.jpg and I took a picture of it. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696494.575139.jpg I also took a far away picture of it.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696530.184000.jpg any suggestions on how old this tree might be?
Also, in a completely new campsite in Richardson Grove, I found this and took a picture of where I found it. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696616.737968.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696633.829243.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696662.158312.jpg although, one corner was chipped off when I found it.
So any comments??

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696389.576242.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696389.576242.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696436.266517.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1386696436.266517.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator: