What Kind Of Tort Is This?

sillyfurby

My husband found this tortoise on open land close to farm fields. It was at the entrance of a hole in a dirt pile. The tortoise is so perfectly preserved that at first it appears to be alive. However it could be called a Tortoise Mummy, minus the wrappings. I have Googled to find out what kind of a tortoise it is, but nothing turned up. Do you know what kind of tortoise it is?027 Eds tort 1 3-13.jpg 069 sealed tort tummy, 6-13-14.JPG

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
i don't think that's a tort i'm probably wrong but that sorta looks like a red earred slider id need pics of the head tho they are water turtles is there a pond or lake close by?

sillyfurby

Here is the "Tort Mummy" again. 069 Eds tort face feet, 6-14.jpg
i don't think that's a tort i'm probably wrong but that sorta looks like a red earred slider id need pics of the head tho they are water turtles is there a pond or lake close by?
I've had sliders and this isn't one. The closest pond is roughly 10 miles from where it was found.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It's a turtle though, probably a thrown Away pet :(

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
It is a slider not sure exactly which one but you got a turtle mummy not a tortoise mummy

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Is it a yellow bellied slider
I don't think so. I have YBS and he doesn't have square markings that that. Just three black blotches. I don't think it is an RES either! It is definitely a turtle, not a tortoises. If it got crisped up in the sun, it might not have been able to find water, and died.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I don't think so. I have YBS and he doesn't have square markings that that. Just three black blotches. I don't think it is an RES either! It is definitely a turtle, not a tortoises. If it got crisped up in the sun, it might not have been able to find water, and died.
2 possibilities now:
1- pet was set free & died:
Likely, many irresponsible owners do that...
2-from the pond:
Why would it be there? what happens to it when it rains, does it flood?
I believe it's the first one :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a water turtle.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
2 possibilities now:
2-from the pond:
It's a shame to think someone threw it out... such a big, beautiful turtle :( Maybe he died of starvation or something... either way it makes me sad to think that was probably a pet, and died in the wild.
People- don't EVER release your turtle/tortoise!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It's a shame to think someone threw it out... such a big, beautiful turtle :( Maybe he died of starvation or something... either way it makes me sad to think that was probably a pet, and died in the wild.
Or it may have left the pond because of starvation, this is unlikely though

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas

:( It makes me sad also. I do not doubt it was a thrown away pet either. Poor thing, No telling how long it suffered before it passed away. :( :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I may be way off base, but I don't think animals 'suffer' like we do. I think they are able to go away in their brains, like just tune it out and go into a sort of hypnotic state, and just die without any suffering.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I may be way off base, but I don't think animals 'suffer' like we do. I think they are able to go away in their brains, like just tune it out and go into a sort of hypnotic state, and just die without any suffering.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
I believe they suffer, they do so while moving (unless they are unconscious)...

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
2 possibilities now:
2-from the pond:
My brother lives about 10 miles from the nearest full time water source and he has baby RES's hatch in his yard every other year or so. That leads me to believe turtles will go to great lengths to find a good nesting spot. On the off years I believe the female that lays in his yard lays near the field where the farmer grows rice. When he lets the field go fallow, she probably just lays anywhere to get the eggs out, lol.
I do know that RES's in south Texas are found often quite a long way from water and that when they run the canals dry, RES's and even Soft shells and snappers, to a much lesser degree, will travel very long distances to get back to water. The red ears will come out of the canals and travel over land while the others stay in the canal and try to find water by puddle jumping and eventually they find where the canal is not dry.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Imo I believe they do suffer also. I mean they can feel pain. But who knows, I hope the turtle didn't suffer but my gut tells me it did. And that's sad. :(

sillyfurby

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I have researched for information on the differences between turtles and tortoises. One of the primary ways to tell them apart, is apparently the feet. A turtle will have webbed feet, while torts have stubby feet made for walking. So with this in mind, I examined "ED's" feet.
098 Ed tort R front foot, 7-14.jpg 100 Ed tort bottom L hind foot, 7-14.jpg

Attachments

• 099 Ed tort L hind foot, 7-14.jpg
    099 Ed tort L hind foot, 7-14.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 4

AZTorts

Arizona

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Of course animals suffer. It might be harder to see it in some kinds of animals than in others but that doesn't mean they don't feel pain and have emotions just because we humans can't see it. And don't forget, we're animals too.