what type of Tort/Turtle is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
las Vegas, NV
Comrad escaped last week from my backyard. Fliers went up, notices went out. Got a call today while at work, telling me they found him. This is DEFINITLEY not my Russian Tortoise. Anyone know what kind he is??? Need to get him adopted out or to the right people (may be wild) but want to know what type to make him/her as comfortable as possible and lower his stress level.

he appears to be more of a water type of dude as his feet look a little webbed.....?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
He looks like he might be a painted turtle? He has the markings. He might be wild, or the person could have just been trying to get rid of him/her.

He is aquatic by the way. From his appearance and the description of the webbed feet.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
It is not a tortoise! It's a red ear slider turtle (water turtle) he is probably wild and had crawled from a near by lake, stream, drainage ditch.. He needs to be in water, if you don't have him in water get him some ASAP. Or simply release him near a lake, water filled ditch and let him be on his way. If your planning on keeping him you can use a rubber maid storage tote as quick place to house until you can get something better to house him in. They like to bask in the sun light so a spot light with a 75 plus watt bulb will suffice put a piece of drift wood or large rock for him to climb out on for basking but fill the water in the tub to a med. depth.. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367371039.303835.jpg
Hope you can see the pic but this is what a setup for a young one looks like.. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would just let me go in a safe place by a nice pond .

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
mike taylor said:
I would just let me go in a safe place by a nice pond .

Yes, it is a red-eared slider, but DO NOT release it in Las Vegas, Nevada because they are exotic there. They are native only to the Southeastern US.

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
Well, as I was waiting for replies I got on the internet to search out what kind of dude he was. We narrowed it down to a RES turtle; so I'm glad we got that right. I was trying to keep him as stress free as possible, so I put him in a large Rubbermaid container with a smaller wash tub inside of it filled with water. He was much calmer after I put him the water. We then looked up where he was found (hole 16 of the golf course community we live in; and that hole is right by the ponds where the ducks are) and decided that he was mistakenly (and more than likely angry) picked up. So after it got dark we went and released him in the pond. He definitely knew where he was. I feel bad releasing him if he is deemed "exotic" though:-(

I think someone else may have "released" him out there a while ago when they realized how much work & how big they get. I think he's been out there for awhile (just my hunch).

Thank you everyone for your help.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Cowboy_Ken said:
RES not so much exotic as invasive.

Anthony P said:
About as exotic as frozen pizza....

LOL ... exotic doesn't just mean "cool" or "sexy," as in "exotic dancing." It just literally means "from somewhere else," and is synonymous with the term nonindigenous. Invasive species are exotics that thrive in a novel environment to the point of becoming pests, so yes, RES's have become invasive exotics outside their native range.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Cowboy_Ken said:
RES not so much exotic as invasive.

Anthony P said:
About as exotic as frozen pizza....

LOL ... exotic doesn't just mean "cool" or "sexy," as in "exotic dancing." It just literally means "from somewhere else," and is synonymous with the term nonindigenous. Invasive species are exotics that thrive in a novel environment to the point of becoming pests, so yes, RES's have become invasive exotics outside their native range.
The first sentince made me lol so hard! Anyway, I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.