What plant is this

Pastel Tortie

Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Not absolutely certain, but I'm voting for Callicarpa americana, commonly known as American beautyberry. If I'm right, it should have clusters of pretty, deep purple berries in the fall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking it looks like that wild sunflower you see along the highway - helianthus annuus

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Yvonne may well be (probably is) right. I was looking more at the leaves than the stalk, and beautyberry doesn't usually have such a straight stalk. Beautyberry tends to be more shruby and woodsy.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Yvonne may well be (probably is) right. I was looking more at the leaves than the stalk, and beautyberry doesn't usually have such a straight stalk. Beautyberry tends to be more shruby and woodsy.
Thanks I was thinking pepper, but you that was Farrrr off. Haha I actually I do think it’s sunflowers remember plating some awhile back.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok, I’m going to throw a curve ball here and disagree with the sunflower ID. The leaves in the pix just appear way to narrow. Sunflower should have much broader, oval to almost heart-shaped leaves. I would also expect we should be seeing at least a little bit of the actual flower bud/blossom forming. Even young sunflowers show the flower bud pretty quickly in their development. Of course, it could be some odd variant. Have to wait & see.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Ok, I’m going to throw a curve ball here and disagree with the sunflower ID. The leaves in the pix just appear way to narrow. Sunflower should have much broader, oval to almost heart-shaped leaves. I would also expect we should be seeing at least a little bit of the actual flower bud/blossom forming. Even young sunflowers show the flower bud pretty quickly in their development. Of course, it could be some odd variant. Have to wait & see.
Haha no one knows what I have!!!??
My tortoises, my plants! Lol

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
My first thought was wild sunflower too. I see them everywhere on the side of the road out here. I love them, but they make me sneeze like crazy! I can always come smell it for you and see if i go into a sneeze fit ??

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I also thought sunflower at first but am unsure. Is there a different plant growing right next to it, on the right? Or are those older leaves of the same plant?

Texas has a species that looks like that—on the internet anyway. Ours have dark centers here so not quite the same my area of Southern California. Mine are the same as Yvonne’s.

A255B562-B188-4636-BB8E-988006C07125.jpeg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I also thought sunflower at first but am unsure. Is there a different plant growing right next to it, on the right? Or are those older leaves of the same plant?

Texas has a species that looks like that—on the internet anyway. Ours have dark centers here so not quite the same my area of Southern California. Mine are the same as Yvonne’s.

View attachment 300767
There’s a melon plant growing next to it as well as some collard greens

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief

View attachment 300767
Also if you can help me out with this one. I was thinking of a vegetable. The smell is very distinguishable. 286BD478-E3FB-400A-94E3-D0E8AA440A9B.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It is something in the brassica family, which includes things like broccoli, cauliflower, collards, kale, radishes, cabbage, mustard and on and on. Your plant could be a bittercress. You can taste it, it would taste more like arugula—peppery—than bitter.

All brassicas are safe in moderation. a little more common for the testudos to eat in their native habitat than other species, I believe.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Whew, that’s a relief. Because I couldn’t figure out what plant would have monster collard legs and those narrow sunflower leaves at the top. Zombie plant!
AHAHA, there’s so much growing! I’ll show you my melon plants. They grew OVERNIGHT!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
S
It is something in the brassica family, which includes things like broccoli, cauliflower, collards, kale, radishes, cabbage, mustard and on and on. Your plant could be a bittercress. You can taste it, it would taste more like arugula—peppery—than bitter.

All brassicas are safe in moderation. a little more common for the testudos to eat in their native habitat than other species, I believe.
Yeah the taste is bitter and something else but I can’t not describe it as well as the Smell.
I doubt bittercress the leaves aren’t shaped like that. I was thinking it had a similar taste to Arugula.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
S

Yeah the taste is bitter and something else but I can’t not describe it as well as the Smell.
I doubt bittercress the leaves aren’t shaped like that. I was thinking it had a similar taste to Arugula.
Arugula was my second guess but it seems a little flat to the ground to me. At any rate, it’s safe for you and your tortoise, whichever of you likes it.