What Reptile is Smartest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Ok everyone, I am starting this thread because I want to know what reptile is the smartest and knows his/her owner best. What reptile is smartest? I really want to know!!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Id say thats a tough one. Reptiles are pretty instinctively creatures of habit. They all have different placements in strengths. Id say monitors are quite crafty and seem to analyze and process its surroundings with a higher complex of thinking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The King Cobra is the smartest Reptile that I have seen. Monitors and Tegus are pretty smart too. I haven't seen anything that strikes me as all that "intelligent" with tortoises. Instinct is one thing, but thought, anticipation, planning and problem solving ability, is another.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom, shame on you, :p:D saying tortoises aren't really intelligent. You need to meet Tatum. Smart, like a dog. Yes, my leopard Tatum is the smartest :p:D.
I have no real answer or guess. Just thought you should know that my leopard is the smartest:D

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Personally, Lizards are by far the most intelligent reptiles `i have ever seen, especially monitors and tegu's, tortoises too, but not as much as lizards, and as for snakes, anacondas and retics are actually surprisingly intelligent, but yeah lizards take the cake for me :D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The American Alligator gets my vote, It's the only one that I know of that will answer you back if you talk to it (in gator talk).

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Len said:
The American Alligator gets my vote, It's the only one that I know of that will answer you back if you talk to it (in gator talk).

lol a form of a lizard XD

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Lol @ len. I do have to say as well when I kept crocodillians my caimens were very smart. But didnt seem to show the procrss of thinking like my monitors did. Specifically the lace monitor, or crocodile monitor.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
tortadise said:
Lol @ len. I do have to say as well when I kept crocodillians my caimens were very smart. But didnt seem to show the procrss of thinking like my monitors did. Specifically the lace monitor, or crocodile monitor.

If you could get your hands on one, komodo dragons are very intelligent, and don't develop the bacteria in their saliva in captivity :D

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Hmm, I really want to say tortoises, but, well, you know......

(not the brightest bulbs on the chandelier).

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
tortadise said:
My manouria are definitely the smartest out of all my torts.

the impressed tortoises are pretty cool looking too :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ethan D said:
Len said:

lol a form of a lizard XD

Actually crocodillians are not in the order Squamata with lizards and snakes.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
From what I read the North American Wood Turtle it is one of the smartest as far as turtles and torts go = old red legs. I almost got a pair because of that reason

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The impresses are very weird and anti social. But cool. Theyre crafty smart. My browns and blacks are just sneaky smart, and define a habit and personality unlike any other species. They stay with their eggs and gaurd them and the male and female builds the nest where as all other males just breed and go. They communicate I swear they do. When my big brown is nesting and getting ready for egg drop gaurd time the smaller female and male are told stay away. I will record it sometime. Different vocals for different icidents, breeding. Territory, food, more nesting material, or lets all go in the pool. Lol smart buggers they are.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Well it's a hard one to think about. Each animal is smart in ther own ways. Defence smart, offence smart, eating smart etc.

I believe the Komodo dragon is smartest offensively teamig up on prey like a raptor.
Spitting cobra for defence. It knows where the eyes are on everything. It's crazy how it can determine what eyes are on any creature including human.
Eating smart every reptile. They know hpw to find what they need.
There's many others each is smart how they need to be.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Our buddy Ghamara, the CDT that is quick as lightning and can spin like a top and create his own dirt devil which he uses as a distraction and when the dust clears he has disappeared....

But then again, Humphry the CDT , he can run and then say Ali up --and do a summersault in mid air and land on the truck seat....now, that is fricken smart and sweet at the same time.....

hmmmmm? but then again the RESs they use to be the team leaders of their junior synchronized swim team---they can do a perfectly timed back stroke followed by a couple beautiful Water Wheels...then a powerful Boost out of the water finished by a full summersault and a lovely splash back into the water...absolutely unbelievable....

However, we can not forget about the Redfoot tort babies---they have mastered the hide the dandelion and cucumber salad----one will quickly walk out and look up at you and smile big then wink and all the while his partner is scarfing down the goods...bam...all gone in a wink of an eye...:D

So, I have to say---the posse here at the house, absolutely hands down, are the smartest reptiles round...

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
lol i am biased to lizards, but there is research to back it up :D Turns out that now we think dolphins use linear math for their sonar :/ even though they aren't a reptile they are still pretty smart

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
What do you guys think is a better pet? Bearded dragons, or tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.