What should I do about temps

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I use the dial style thermometers, I'm getting a temperature gun for christmas, but I could use some advice for the time being. I have the one stuck on the wall in the corner that the basking spot is, but it reads 85. I took the other one and lied it flat on the basking stone and it read above 100. Which way of measuring is more accurate?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Why not just get a digital one? They are like 5-10 bucks and way more accurate as far as reading and you can place the probe anywhere

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]my experience with the dial thermometers is that they are not very accurate. I've wasted money on them your best bet would be to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a digital thermometer. They are very cheap and very accurate. Just my 2 cents..

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
On the wall and on the basking stone will be two completely different temps. Its best to measure directly under the basking bulb to get that temp where you want it and then leave it alone. Measure periodically to make sure the temp hasn't fluctuated. Also have another thermometer on the wall to measure ambient temp. I also like to have one on the cool side and one in the hide as well. The temp can fluctuate quite a bit in an enclosure which is why its probably best to have multiple measurement. Ground level to the top of the enclosure can have a 20 degree difference.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Arizona Sulcata said:
On the wall and on the basking stone will be two completely different temps. Its best to measure directly under the basking bulb to get that temp where you want it and then leave it alone. Measure periodically to make sure the temp hasn't fluctuated. Also have another thermometer on the wall to measure ambient temp. I also like to have one on the cool side and one in the hide as well. The temp can fluctuate quite a bit in an enclosure which is why its probably best to have multiple measurement. Ground level to the top of the enclosure can have a 20 degree difference.

Well this is pretty much what I was going to say... :)

I concur. Sometimes its nice to hear from more than one person.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here is a meter must for the beginner keeper. Its ten dollars at the Home depot .

Attachments

• 1382828136390.jpg
    1382828136390.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 23