What should the humidity level be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaGirl

5 Year Member
I have a 7-8 week old Hermann's and I am wanting to find out what the humidity level should be? Should it be the same all day / night? Thanks in advance for the help.

Newo13

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Their humidity can range from 50 to 75%. I try to keep mine around 65-70%. For the young ones like yours I believe staying at the higher end is better for them. They can easily dehydrate so keeping the humidity up and giving them soaks will help a lot.

BamaGirl

5 Year Member
What is the best way to keep it up I spray atleast 4xs a day and soak him 20 minutes a day but my gauge shows around 30%. Any help you can offer I appreciate.
Amy

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
What substrate are you using? Some types hold humidity better than others. Is your enclosure open top or are you able to cover all or part of the top to help hold in the humidity?

Newo13

10 Year Member!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Substrate can help a lot with holding humidity. I like to use a brick of eco earth coconut fiber and mix it with organic topsoil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
BamaGirl said:
What is the best way to keep it up I spray atleast 4xs a day and soak him 20 minutes a day but my gauge shows around 30%. Any help you can offer I appreciate.
Amy

You are fighting a losing battle. Use a closed chamber.

BamaGirl

5 Year Member
Just the little stick on ones from petco but it averages about 40%. I mist the table 3-4 times a day and it gets to 65-75% but for only an hour or so the drops back.

BamaGirl

5 Year Member
Just the little stick on ones from petco but it averages about 40%. I mist the table 3-4 times a day and it gets to 65-75% but for only an hour or so the drops back.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It might be wise to invest in a better quality hygrometer. Most digital units are fairly accurate. The Springfield model 91551 sells for about $8-14 online and is a combination thermometer/hygrometer that is reliable and accurate. Most analog and strip type hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
You can test your hygrometer really easily with a ziploc bag, coffee cup, water, and salt according to this guide. Also, it works to calibrate a digital hygrometer if you decide to buy one.

BamaGirl

5 Year Member
Thank you for the guide tip. I will check it and get a digital one ordered today just to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.