What size should my Russian tortoise be in order to be safe from birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Hi:

Appoximately how big should a Russian tortoise be before it is safe from a bird, such as a crow, picking it up from inside the enclosure and flying away with it?

Thanks

Carol :)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've heard of birds picking up a tortoise up to about 4-5 inches. If the bird can't pick up a tortoise..."THEY" say that birds can work in teams and flip a tortoise or whatever it is over and attack that way....sorry to get you worried haha

I think the only birds you MIGHT have to worry about are birds like Ravens and Hawks...crows don't seem to care too much from what I've noticed.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
FernandoM said:
I've heard of birds picking up a tortoise up to about 4-5 inches. If the bird can't pick up a tortoise..."THEY" say that birds can work in teams and flip a tortoise or whatever it is over and attack that way....sorry to get you worried haha

I think the only birds you MIGHT have to worry about are birds like Ravens and Hawks...crows don't seem to care too much from what I've noticed.

Thank you for the information. Have a great day.

Carol

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I guess it depends on what kind of birds you have in the area. I know I would not trust having crows around our tortoises and my biggest one is about 6"

If they are birds of prey I would say anything under 10" is fair game - but that's just my opinion. Our "Canadian" crows might be a little more fiesty than American, haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This really depends where you are and what else is going on. FL has all sorts of crazy predatory birds. NY, so so many...

I'll sometimes put 2" babies out in uncovered pens, but only when I'm right there watching. There is also lots of activity, people and other animals moving around nearby. If you are talking about supervised in a secure enclosure, I think any size baby is fine. If you are talking about leaving one in a quiet back yard all day, with no one around, I would just build a cover to be safe.

PhillyGuy

5 Year Member
Houston
Theres lots of crows here and we have big plastic Owls with bobble heads around and they dont dare come in the yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom said:
This really depends where you are and what else is going on. FL has all sorts of crazy predatory birds. NY, so so many...

I'll sometimes put 2" babies out in uncovered pens, but only when I'm right there watching. There is also lots of activity, people and other animals moving around nearby. If you are talking about supervised in a secure enclosure, I think any size baby is fine. If you are talking about leaving one in a quiet back yard all day, with no one around, I would just build a cover to be safe.

That was supposed to say, "NY, NOT so many." Whoops. In other words, I was trying to say that some areas have more of a risk factor than others.

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Personaly with my russians I don't like them outside in an uncovered pen alone not just because of birds but also racoons and dogs and such. I wouldn't worry so much about a crow to be honest because they are very small birds but ravens on the other hand are much larger. I know you probably have atleast red tailed hawks around and they would be able to pick up an adult russian at any time. Sorry I don't mean to worry you but just giving my two cents.

Tyler

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I remember looking out my window once to see two crows approaching my 5-inch box turtle in the middle of the yard. I was ready to intervene, but I was curious to see what would happen, so I just watched. The crows stood there for a while, then began to creep closer and closer to my brave box turtle. Eventually, I felt afraid that they might start to peck at her, so I went outside and shooed them away.

Basically, I think unless a tortoise is at least a foot long and weighs at least 20 pounds, it's going to be potentially vulnerable to birds, not to mention raccoons, foxes, coyotes, and dogs. That's why tortoises seek out vegetation: not only for food, but camouflage as well. In a large enough plot of land, a tortoise can find shelter in the brush. However, in an outdoor enclosure - even a large one - they are basically sitting ducks for a crafty predator who can figure out how to get at them. This is why outdoor enclosures should be covered with mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.