What the heck is 'soaking'?

Lorielei2001

Location (City and/or State)
Miami FL
my sulcata is 5 years old and I recently adopted him. What is meant by "soaking"? I leave 2 shallow water bowls in my backyard and never have witnessed him drinking water - I spray him with hose maybe once a week - he kinda likes it.
and of course living in Miami we do get a lot of rain. help?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
my sulcata is 5 years old and I recently adopted him. What is meant by "soaking"? I leave 2 shallow water bowls in my backyard and never have witnessed him drinking water - I spray him with hose maybe once a week - he kinda likes it.
and of course living in Miami we do get a lot of rain. help?
Soaking means putting the tortoise in a tub of warm water that he can't get out of. The depth should be to the top of the bottom shell, where the top and bottom meet. Soak for 20 minutes to an hour.

Lorielei2001

Miami FL
Okay another stupid question.. Why do we do this? He's pretty heavy to pick up about 50 pounds.. Also, what happens when he gets too big for lifting and putting in tub?

Alaskamike

South Florida
Okay another stupid question.. Why do we do this? He's pretty heavy to pick up about 50 pounds.. Also, what happens when he gets too big for lifting and putting in tub?
Soaking does several helpful things
- encourages tort to drink
- they can absorb some moisture through skin
- gets and keeps their bowels moving ( they frequently poo in the water ).

I use an $8 kiddie pool got at Wallmart for my 40 lb Sulcata 2x/ week.

I use warm water 85-90f. 1/2 way up his shell.

Really wish I had a pond he could just walk into - maybe someday :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

We do this to keep them hydrated. As you noted, yours doesn't drink. There are many reasons why a tortoise might choose to not drink from the water sources we provide. Soaking ensures they are hydrated whether they choose to drink or not. Dehydration can literally kill them over time. In your climate for a 50 pounder, once or twice a week is probably enough.

When he gets bigger, get a bigger tub and get some help with the heavy lifting. Very rare is the sulcata that can't be lifted by two people.

Your next question is probably going to be, "Who soaks them in the wild?" Answers:
1. Every year there is a rainy season over there. During this time there are puddles everywhere and in some areas seasonal marshes form where they self soak.
2. your back yard is not the wild, and your bowl of water is not a "natural" puddle.
3. During the dry season, they live in warm, humid underground burrows, not above ground in the hot sun like they do here.
4. Many wild ones die. The survival rate for captive raised tortoises is MUCH higher than the survival rate of wild ones due to shelter from the elements, proper temps being maintained, security from predation, good food year round and………. proper hydration.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't soak them once they're big enough to live outside. I provide them with a big waterer that they can climb in and out of, and I leave it to the animal to soak or not.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If your tortoise is soaking himself, than it is not as necessary to soak him. If you never see him use the water you provide, then you need to soak him for all of the reasons Tom gave.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It is most frequently associated with small tortoises and babies as they can dry out (desiccate) if they are not made to encounter water. In the wild the ones that don't get water die.

Once they get older the imperative to soak may or may not be as critical as many sort it out that they should drink water, and will walk over to and drink water. They may get water from their diet as well.

Sorta like cats in a way, they tend to under-hydrate, and 'still' water does not seem to be as attractive as moving water. That's why simulated rain (sprinklers), and several shallow pools (rain drops move the surface as does a breeze) seem to create a desire to drink.

In captivity some of the drivers for survival get messed up.

BTW by asking this question in the way you did, you just saved dozens of tortoises from a death by dehydration, as others may have had the same question but dismissed the interst as it was asked differently or not at all.

Lorielei2001

Miami FL
Soaking does several helpful things
- encourages tort to drink
- they can absorb some moisture through skin
- gets and keeps their bowels moving ( they frequently poo in the water ).

I use an $8 kiddie pool got at Wallmart for my 40 lb Sulcata 2x/ week.

I use warm water 85-90f. 1/2 way up his shell.

Really wish I had a pond he could just walk into - maybe someday :)
Great info! Off to Walmart Saturday for a kiddie pool! Tugie will get his first soaking! I will keep u posted!

Lorielei2001

Miami FL
We do this to keep them hydrated. As you noted, yours doesn't drink. There are many reasons why a tortoise might choose to not drink from the water sources we provide. Soaking ensures they are hydrated whether they choose to drink or not. Dehydration can literally kill them over time. In your climate for a 50 pounder, once or twice a week is probably enough.

When he gets bigger, get a bigger tub and get some help with the heavy lifting. Very rare is the sulcata that can't be lifted by two people.

Your next question is probably going to be, "Who soaks them in the wild?" Answers:
1. Every year there is a rainy season over there. During this time there are puddles everywhere and in some areas seasonal marshes form where they self soak.
2. your back yard is not the wild, and your bowl of water is not a "natural" puddle.
3. During the dry season, they live in warm, humid underground burrows, not above ground in the hot sun like they do here.
4. Many wild ones die. The survival rate for captive raised tortoises is MUCH higher than the survival rate of wild ones due to shelter from the elements, proper temps being maintained, security from predation, good food year round and………. proper hydration.
Thanks Tom! Great info, Tugie will be splashing away this weekend in the kiddie pool may even put some sunglasses and a hat on him! Just kidding!

Lorielei2001

Miami FL
It is most frequently associated with small tortoises and babies as they can dry out (desiccate) if they are not made to encounter water. In the wild the ones that don't get water die.

Once they get older the imperative to soak may or may not be as critical as many sort it out that they should drink water, and will walk over to and drink water. They may get water from their diet as well.

Sorta like cats in a way, they tend to under-hydrate, and 'still' water does not seem to be as attractive as moving water. That's why simulated rain (sprinklers), and several shallow pools (rain drops move the surface as does a breeze) seem to create a desire to drink.

In captivity some of the drivers for survival get messed up.

BTW by asking this question in the way you did, you just saved dozens of tortoises from a death by dehydration, as others may have had the same question but dismissed the interst as it was asked differently or not at all.
U are so right about rain drops! I put out a large flat tray about 1 inch deep (all i could find till I get kiddie pool ) and when I spray hose he heads right over o it and walks thru it! So glad I asked about this!

Lorielei2001

Miami FL
This tortoise forum is the best! You all are so informative and I want
To thank everyone for all this valuable info!