WHAT THE HECK? RES babies have ref puffy eyes. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokenica

5 Year Member
I went to feed my little slider babies and 5 of the 11 have one red puffy eye. Could it be because their natural sunlight was blocked? Should I move them outside for a few days in safe area?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What natural sunlight was blocked and if they are not outside already, how are they getting natural sunlight? If its through a window, the uv won't go through glass or plastic. You will need to get them outside for natural sunlight or an artificial UVB. Also, do not use any of the coil type, they cause eye problems.

lokenica

5 Year Member
Yes, they are in front of a window, but also have a uv bulb and a turtle tuff heat bulb. The basking area is 95-100 degrees. I pulled them from the outdoor pond because something ate two of them. I netted the pond when this happened to protext the medium sized turtles and the adults. I have 11 babies inside. The blinds got shut and the bulb was turned off when I went out of town last week to volunteer for a camp. I am thinking about moving them outside again until Fall. I hibernate all of the turtles inside. I also changed their water and might have added too much dechlorinator. If I don't put them in the pond, I will put them in a rubbermaid container on the porch where they will get afternoon sunlight. Thoughts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep them out of the pond until the eyes are looking better. This way you can keep an eye on them. When better, then you could add them back.

You might also want to try some eye drops on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.