What to do? (pet store baby sulcata)

kjr153

5 Year Member
I went into the local pet store tonight and they have a baby Sulcata. It still had the egg tooth. How young would this make it? Anyway, it's substrate was timothy hay. It had no water. It made me so sad. The guy let me hold it. When I held it, it poked it's little head out and looked at me. I fell in love with it. I want to know... How stupid is it for me to pay $130 for a Sulcata? I want it to help it. At the same time, I know I cannot help every Tortoise from a bad situation. What would you do? I've already told that pet store about proper Sulcata housing/care and they don't seem to care so that is not an option. :(

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
What to do?

If you want and are prepared for a baby sulcata, I'd contact Tom. Or a rescue.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
RE: What to do?

you should print out care sheets and give them to the store.. or mail them...
don t buy him... they just replace with another.. they need education...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

BUT, this baby is only a week or so old. IF you are in a position to take on a sulcata, then I would get him and save him from what would otherwise be a terrible fate.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA

SAVE HIM! It's a little baby.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I am a person ruled by my heart, if I had the money and thought I could do right by the little guy, I would get him. Sure you could get one cheaper or whatever, but I always prefer to go with the ones who need me.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: What to do?

Are you familiar with Hatchling Failure Syndrome?
If you pay for this baby and loose it to HFS (because it was started dry and suffered internally from it) how do you think you would handle it?
Just something to consider while weighing your options.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

But, many babies were raised dried (mine included), and they have thrived. Also, not all hatchlings die from HFS.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: What to do?

sibi said:
But, many babies were raised dried (mine included), and they have thrived. Also, not all hatchlings die from HFS.

Absolutely. I know this.

I'm just sharing a point to ponder. If this one didn't make it, could the OP cope? I have a hard time still when I think of the one I lost to HFS.

Personally, I would have a hard time taking another small baby started dry for fear of it happening again.

The OP has to weigh all the pros and cons so she can be confident in her decision.
I'm just offering more to consider since she asked.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Unless you intend to buy every single animal this pet store ever stocks, rewarding them with money for taking poor care of an animal is a bad idea. They will use the money you give them to buy two more tortoises at wholesale cost and do the same thing to them. I would NOT buy it and go tell them why.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

You should do what feels right to you....as stated, you can not save every tortoise....but sometimes saving one is well worth it.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
What to do?

I agree with Tom but i would go in there as much as possible and complain to them and maybe threaten them a little to call the animal cops or something . You dont have to actually do it , just make them a little scared . You can also go a different way and kindly explain to them how easy it is to put a water source in there like a container lid . Let them know this is not healthy for the poor thing :( you can even do both ways if you want :) haha

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

ascott said:
You should do what feels right to you....as stated, you can not save every tortoise....but sometimes saving one is well worth it.

Well said!

sunshyne621

5 Year Member
I think the logic that buying one tortoise gives them money to just buy another or two is flawed. If i do or don't buy a tortoise from Petco/Petsmart it is not going to influence their buying decisions. Buying one tortoise doesn't equate to another or two more being brought in. It is not an eye for an eye kinda deal. It goes into their profit as a whole, and then the buyers buy whatever they get a good deal on. They don't specifically get to choose. Now at a mom and pop store they might look at this as,"hey that sulfate sold fast can we get more?" But a lot of times it just depends on the whole sale inventory. Also if they quit selling torts guess what there goes our easy access to accessories and tort chow. I say if you have the resources, save the little booger.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
In regard to the tortoise supplies, I live very rurally. My local feed store know me. I asked if they could get me a big bag of Mazuri tortoise chow, and for $29.59 I got a 25 lb bag. Mind you they carry livestock supplies, but were happy to help me out with this. I realize it's different in town, I just don't see those resources going away because tortoises aren't sold. That said, I know my first exposure to reptiles was at a local pet store, and although I don't remember specifics, I'm sure they were all kept in what we would call deplorable conditions. I think there is room for educated pet stores, it's just an expensive business to be in.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
I personally would save him if you have the space to keep him