What tortoise should I get?

tort-donohue

Hi, so I'm looking to buy a tortoise but their are so many different types that all have different needs, I don't know which to get!

It will probably have to live in an indoor habitat because my neighbours have large dogs that always find ways to get into my garden. I will take it outside daily though, just with my supervision. Which tortoises are better to keep indoors? Or are they all the same?

Also, I don't quite understand the lighting or heating, so if anyone could explain I'd appreciate it!
I feel stupid asking all these questions but I really want my tortoise to be treated well, and if I can't look after it properly then what's the point?

-Neil (I'm a girl by the way, just have a boys name :) )

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! i would recommend a russian tort they are small and have great personalities. tortoises need big spaces to explore and the smallest cage for a russian is 4ft by 8ft. all reptiles can not produce body heat, the enclosure has to be around 90 during the day and 75+ at night. one of the most important part of lighting is UVB. just remember this animal will live as long as you or longer, so have a plan. read this care sheet, probably the most up to date care sheet out there http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Ditto on the russian, they are AMAZING! Hermann and greek tortoises also get smaller.
Tortoises CANNOT live soley indoors! They need to go outdoors, even for a few hours a week! Of course, large tortoises like sulcata'a a leopards are way out if you don't want a large outdoor area.
This also depedns on the amount of space inside that you can provide. Russian tort adults (8-10'') need a space of 4x8' indoors, and with all tortoises, outside time is a must! (at least for bit!!)