Weird curvy line on the back of my tortoise

FrankiesDad

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
Hi all,

First time poster here. I have a 1 year and 9 month old sulcata that I love.

She lives in a covered enclosure in my grassy backyard that is pretty big. I put the enclosure next to a vine bush that has totally covered the top of her wire enclosure which is pretty cool because it shades her from the arizona sun. She’s got lettuce every day, tortoise pellets, a shallow water bowl, and I occasionally give her fruit like once a month.

I recently noticed this curvy line on the back of her shell. Is this something I should be worried about? She’s never been dropped and lives a pretty chill lifestyle. please let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_6742.jpeg
    IMG_6742.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6741.jpeg
    IMG_6741.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

First time poster here. I have a 1 year and 9 month old sulcata that I love.

She lives in a covered enclosure in my grassy backyard that is pretty big. I put the enclosure next to a vine bush that has totally covered the top of her wire enclosure which is pretty cool because it shades her from the arizona sun. She’s got lettuce every day, tortoise pellets, a shallow water bowl, and I occasionally give her fruit like once a month.

I recently noticed this curvy line on the back of her shell. Is this something I should be worried about? She’s never been dropped and lives a pretty chill lifestyle. please let me know!
Those scutes have always been there. This tortoise hatched this way. That happens when they are incubated too warm, and sometimes it is believed there is a genetic component too. Its really just cosmetic.

What type of vine is that? Have you verified that it is not toxic if eaten?

With the intention of helping you and your tortoise, I would like to mention a few things. This tortoise is far too small to be living outside full time, especially in your extreme climate. At a 21 months, this tortoise should be at least 10 pounds and 10 or 12 inches. When they aren't housed optimally it slows their growth extensively.

Here is all the correct care info for you and questions are welcome:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally second Toms post. Also sulcata shouldn't have fruit but specially not a baby.
Please read and follow the threads Tom posted for you.
She also needs a much bigger varied diet.grind up cactus pads, hibiscus, mulberry leaf, grape leaf, much more than you are feeding.
Get her housed correctly with high humidity and you can stop the pyramiding that has started.