What's the best spot for tortoise keeping in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Psh...Kobe...It's like cheating, not fun to watch that guy win all the time.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Az tortoise compound said:
Dean,
I am about to take back all the nice things I have said about you in the past:( I don't watch the NBA since PHX got robbed in San Antonio a few years ago. I do know I hate Kobe though.......

So I won't be getting that third note of praise? ;)

I was just having some fun with Neal...wouldn't wanna upset you though Mick! I'm just a HUGE Lakers fan...and since MJ retired (Michael not Magic)...Kobe is simply the BEST in the game...barring what may (or probably may not have happened in Denver a few years back)!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
The best, yah sounds like hawaii, coastal so cal (san diego?), florida, louisiana, any place warm and humid.

IT gets too darn cold in the midwest, but I think Seattle still has to be the worst. The ground NEVER dries out here, all winter long. Cold is one thing, wet and cold= dead torts.

I've been to Arizona. Northern part of the state wasn't bad, but dang the southern. BLAH. At least in most of the midwest there's plants growing on the big open flat nothingness. (OK I'm a mountain man, grew up surrounded by green trees and mountains, forests and rolling hills for as far as the eye can see. I think I may get agoraphobia in open, nothingness)

To really sink the deal for Seattle as worst.... we don't even have an NBA team anymore.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
onarock said:
I guess this thread must pertain only to the lower 48? In that case, I would say So.Cal.

No were just ignoring you, Mister "I live in paradise and its always perfect here."

Really, we are all just insanely jealous. Well most of us.

NOT counting Islands and territories outside the continental US, I'd say its a three way tie between the Phoenix area, the south (FL, MS, LA), and Inland Southern, CA. Southern TX sounds like it might be good too.

I would think the worst would be any of the states along the Northern border. I have to agree that Seattle with all the cold and wet all the time sounds pretty bad too.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Dean, your words about my beloved Lakers brought tears to my eyes. Your right on Point and dont be afraid to put it out there, MJ thats Magic Johnson is the greatest of all time, a 6'10" point guard that could play any position at the highest level. There never has been nor will there ever be another one like him. People keep comparing all the new guys to Jordan, why?, because they can! As far as the best places to keep tortoises in the lower 48, like I said I think So Cal. I think it should be pointed out that although climates vary coast to coast and that has a lot to do with it, So Cal along with Phoenix has more available reptile specific medical technology than other parts of the country including my part.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
onarock said:
I guess this thread must pertain only to the lower 48? In that case, I would say So.Cal.

See, I actually don't think of Hawaii as being that great. Don't get me wrong, hawaii is a fantastic place, but as far as tortoise keeping there are definite disadvantages to living on an island. 1) I've read people on this forum talking about how they can't ship tortoises to hawaii very easily, so it seems like you're limited by how available tortoises are to you. 2) I also know that things in general are more expensive there because of transportation which would add extra cost to tortoise supplies. 3) If you breed, it would be more difficult to ship from hawaii to the continental US than it would be to ship within the 48 (generally, obviously if you're shipping to CA from HI that might be cheaper than from ME). However, the climate is unbeatable and there are also wild growing foods that beat out the weeds in my yard anyday.

I like the idea of somewhere in the texas to florida coastal stretch personally. Consistently warm temps, high humidity, etc. If you could find an area with cheap land and low cost of living you'd be able to live comfortably and so would the torts.

Worst place IMO, maine. Cold, damp, muddy, buggy, maine. (my wife happens to be a mainer and these are her complaints, not mine. Personally I think Maine is beautiful).

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
PeanutbuttER said:
onarock said:

See, I actually don't think of Hawaii as being that great. Don't get me wrong, hawaii is a fantastic place, but as far as tortoise keeping there are definite disadvantages to living on an island. 1) I've read people on this forum talking about how they can't ship tortoises to hawaii very easily, so it seems like you're limited by how available tortoises are to you. 2) I also know that things in general are more expensive there because of transportation which would add extra cost to tortoise supplies. 3) If you breed, it would be more difficult to ship from hawaii to the continental US than it would be to ship within the 48 (generally, obviously if you're shipping to CA from HI that might be cheaper than from ME). However, the climate is unbeatable and there are also wild growing foods that beat out the weeds in my yard anyday.

I like the idea of somewhere in the texas to florida coastal stretch personally. Consistently warm temps, high humidity, etc. If you could find an area with cheap land and low cost of living you'd be able to live comfortably and so would the torts.

Worst place IMO, maine. Cold, damp, muddy, buggy, maine. (my wife happens to be a mainer and these are her complaints, not mine. Personally I think Maine is beautiful).

Those are all good points Peanutbutter. I would say as far as tortoise supplies, there really isnt much and if you need them they probably are expensive. Shipping is also an issue, but once youve done it, its not bad. Also, the reason shipping is tough to Hawaii is beause of the permitting and inspections that take place and its also the proof of why Hawaii is so great for not only tortoises but most animals on earth. We have stringint import laws because everything thrives here. Its also the reason why we are limited in our turtle choice. If we are judging all the human factors into the equasion (cost, vets, and supplies) then Hawaii would be tied with So Cal and Az ( in my opinion ). If not, then Hawaii wins hands down. If humans suddenly left this planet our tortoises over here could easily survive, reproduce and thrive, and other than CDTs I dont think you could say that for the rest of the U.S. Human factor, its a toss. Ease of husbandry and natural survivability - Hawaii. I dont bring them in and I dont buy food for them year round. Our females have longer egg laying seasons compared to the mainland. I could go on and on and I think I have. Imua Hawaii

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I don't think I have been to Phoenix. Is is different than the rest of AZ? Tucson and Yuma didn't impress me. On the subject of B-Ball I didn't watch it when Magic was playing, but I think Michael Jordan was an amazing player. A couple of weeks ago my son played aginst a kid that was 6'9" and ripped. Very good basketball player. He has already signed you a D 1 school. I could not believe he was in H/S.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are just too many smooth torts coming out of the Phoenix are for it to be coincidence. I'm guessing its the weather. A lot of people there keep sulcatas in yards with no heat year round. They just dog a burrow to escape the temperature extremes.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
DeanS said:
Ha! After everything I'm hearing (and to a lesser extent, seeing), it sounds like Phoenix, Arizona is the mecca for tort-keeping in the US!

I would imagine Montana, the Dakotas or the New England area would rank among the worst!

Let's go ahead and add WY to the list of worst places. For so many reasons.

Balboa said:
To really sink the deal for Seattle as worst.... we don't even have an NBA team anymore.

Torty, Maggie, and Molly want to go on the record: Tortoises don't give a r*t's *ss about basketball. Therefore, the lack of an NBA team, or even a hot college rivalry, isn't a deal breaker. It's all about the climate and how good the grocery stores are, and how far the peeps have to drive to get to a most excellent vet.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
So if Phoenix is a great place for nice smooth tortoises does that contradict the humidity theory?

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Angi said:
So if Phoenix is a great place for nice smooth tortoises does that contradict the humidity theory?

Uh Oh.......
It almost feels like the dead calm before the storm hits......;)

TLL

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
emysemys said:
Of course, it depends upon what kind of tortoise, but my first choice would be southern California.

woot woot for CA !! and hawaii, as well as arizona and nevada.. but the humidity would be more of a hassle. florida sounds cool too..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Angi said:

Not at all. The humidity thing is just for babies. AZ is a nice place for adults and juveniles of desert species to live outside. Even the best ones from AZ often start out pyramided. The magical AZ air and climate just seems to smooth them out.

It would be tough to keep forest species outside there. That's why most of the big names in AZ don't do redfoots. This is why I rank FL and the deep south right up there. If the question were narrowed down to what is the best place for sulcatas and babcock leopards, AZ wins. I think inland Southern CA is still a close second.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think it's like I said, no matter where you are you would likely raise your hatchlings for the most part indoors where you can easily control the humidity levels. So humid climates would really only be favored by redfoots or others with high humidity requirements.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Even though I'm on his hit list ;)...I gotta agree with Neal on this! And, of course the guru (I mean Tom) has the most valid point...you can live in Iceland and keep the babies hot and humid indoors...but adults? outdoors? Still gotta think it's Phoenix all the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.