Where did you buy your sully?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
My first Sulcata was given to me, he was a yearling. Unfortunately, he passed away soon after. We recently adopted a 15" and 15# male Sulcata that we adore. We call him our yard rumba. ;)

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
Both Bowser and Peach are from tortoisesupply.com who is a member here named Tyler :) Bowser was my first but both came in perfect health with the help of Tyler.I wouldn't shop anywhere else for torts :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I got Walker at the 1996 Orlando FL show from a Texas breeder, I have lost his name over the years, but whoever he is I would like to say Thanks,It was a great $60 investment for years of joy and education.

Dr. Coffee

5 Year Member
U.S.A.
My friend gave him to me because he was committing himself into a mental institution. And he got him as a gift for making a website for a reptile breeder.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well I knew nothing about where to get a Sulcata when I was looking for 1 but I am so happy I found this place because I couldnt have found a better Sulcata then Cooper for me in my opinion. They were real good about answering all my emails and I sent a whole lot to them for the first few weeks. And the shipping was real good as well. http://www.the-woodysreptiles.com/ Have a great day all! :)

doubletorts

5 Year Member
ripper7777777 said:
I got mine from a local exotic pet shop that has an enclosure with several very large ones roaming free. They sell just about everything, I don't know the owners all that well, but really I don't bother getting to know pet shop owners to well, it can ruin it, it's like seeing the kitchen in your favorite restaurant.

I wanted all they had in the tank or at least a half dozen, my daughter agreed, but another walk out to the outdoor enclosure to see the adults and one was enough...LOL

I see you're from Houston, have you been to S and S exotic pet store?

I got both of mine from a guy on craigslist.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
I got the idea from a guy selling torts on the side of a road (not even kidding), my hubs got so excited he sent me back to the guy at the side of the road, who wasn't there any more. So hubs went on Craiglist and found a dude in Gilbert who was selling them..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dr. Coffee said:
My friend gave him to me because he was committing himself into a mental institution. And he got him as a gift for making a website for a reptile breeder.

Oh, this should win a prize or something... :D

Although if Jacki had actually BOUGHT one from the side of the road, that might win it too. :p

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Tom said:

Although if Jacki had actually BOUGHT one from the side of the road, that might win it too. :p

Lmao!!! Seriously. The guy was there, with his truck, a plastic tub, and a handwritten sign, that said "tortoises for sale"... Lmao!!!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
JLSchmittou said:
Tom said:

Lmao!!! Seriously. The guy was there, with his truck, a plastic tub, and a handwritten sign, that said "tortoises for sale"... Lmao!!!
Like they do with puppies?!?!?! That's how u got your sullies? Lol

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
BrinnANDGupta said:
Like they do with puppies?!?!?! That's how u got your sullies? Lol

Nah, I drove by, saw him called the hubs, who demanded I go back immediately, which - I got there when I got done doing what I was doing - and the guy was gone. Apparently that was all my husband needed to spark his interest because by that afternoon I was at a strangers house, cash in hand, buying a couple of torts... He found someone on Craigslist who had a clutch..

But, the whole checking oneself into a mental facility is pretty funny..

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Rescued a yearling Leopard from a lady who was keeping him in a damp aquarium with no heat...(side note: she took a one-way trip to the mental hospital). He didn't make it, but my wife and kiddos added a baby sully (Otis) from Craig's List for a Father's Day present. We picked up our two 12-year olds (Max and Tilly) from the local reptile rescue. Our latest addition, Otto, came from a wonderful family who just ran out of yard for the 20-year old 130lb-er. He had burrowed approximately 12 feet under their wall, well into the neighbor's yard. :-O

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock was a gift to my wife from a parent in her Montessori classroom. He raised Sulcatas for the SanDiago Zoo.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
I bought 3 of mine from a person on craigslist for 45 here in los angeles county, she had a lot, since she takes care of tortoises, i bought 3 because they were too adorable haha, and i decided, why not buy one more LOL and i paid 40 for the last one haha, theyre doin just great and the ones she sales look healthy as well except they are slighty pyramiding, but i dont know why they are, they eat grass and are kept warm, either way, i wish her torts the best because its a job taking care of teenage tortoises lol, I am also glad i found you guys because without the advice i recieved my torts would be 6 feet under by now lol, oh and for any sulcata newbies around her like me, you should check out sulcatafood.com the sulcata mix there is very very good, my tortoises wouldnt eat grass or graze anything, and would only eat mazuri and lettuce and i was getting worried that they would pyramid, but then i grew this and in 2 weeks it grew somewhat and my tortoises are grazy on this everyday, im so glad, they get treats every once in a while :) good luck peeps

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
My sister saw some this weekend for sale in Enterprise AL for $189!! I told her she should have told the lady she was crazy trying to sale em for that, a pair run around $150 or less, crazy woman

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NinjaTortoises said:
I bought 3 of mine from a person on craigslist for 45 here in los angeles county, she had a lot, since she takes care of tortoises, i bought 3 because they were too adorable haha, and i decided, why not buy one more LOL and i paid 40 for the last one haha, theyre doin just great and the ones she sales look healthy as well except they are slighty pyramiding, but i dont know why they are, they eat grass and are kept warm, either way, i wish her torts the best because its a job taking care of teenage tortoises lol, I am also glad i found you guys because without the advice i recieved my torts would be 6 feet under by now lol, oh and for any sulcata newbies around her like me, you should check out sulcatafood.com the sulcata mix there is very very good, my tortoises wouldnt eat grass or graze anything, and would only eat mazuri and lettuce and i was getting worried that they would pyramid, but then i grew this and in 2 weeks it grew somewhat and my tortoises are grazy on this everyday, im so glad, they get treats every once in a while :) good luck peeps

Here is why they are pyramiding:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding#axzz1f4UlyMd1

Here is what to do about it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1f4UlyMd1

Diet has very little to do with it.

nikki0601 said:
My sister saw some this weekend for sale in Enterprise AL for $189!! I told her she should have told the lady she was crazy trying to sale em for that, a pair run around $150 or less, crazy woman

I wish I could get $189 a piece for mine. I'd retire and start my new life as a tortoise farmer right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.