Where to Release?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
So, this morning my husband came in and told me one of my turtles was out of the enclosure. I hurriedly went to investigate and found a large male three-toed who is not one of my brood. Our dog was checking him out with interest. There is one very small space under the gate that he could have gotten in the yard, but it was odd to see him there. We've lived here over a year and we've never seen a turtle "in the wild". The sound of water from my enclosure might have attracted him.

I'm first pursuing a couple of avenues to determine if he is a pet. He's very bold and not afraid of me, so I thought he might be. Then again, he might just be an onery male. We have a new neighbor who told me he has several tortoises. I don't recall what he said he had, but he disclaimed box turtles. Then again, he's 9, so I plan to make sure it's not his.

Here's my quandry assuming I don't find an owner. I want to release him, however, I'm not sure where. We live in a semi-rural area. The immediate has about 100 houses on 1-2 acre tracts. There are big back yards and there is a small wooded area near my house. It's basically several backyards that are not fenced. I'm guessing this is his home. He's big and I suppose he's lived a long time there if that's where he's from, so that's where I'm thinking I'll release him. However, there really is not a lot of land around here without houses on it and there are of course roads all around. I don't think it's a very good spot for a forever home.

An alternative is just to set out into the country around here and let him loose, or go to some of the larger nature preserves we have in the area. Either of those would provide more land for him to roam, but that would be removing him from his home.

What do you guys think I should do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Box turtles are territorial. If your neighborhood is his territory, then no matter where you release him, he's going to try to get back to where he thinks he belongs.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

turtlelou

5 Year Member
I had 2 males wonder in my yard last year. I'm thinking they sensed the female who was staying in my garden...it is mating season.
Is it possible to just let him roam and see where he goes?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Let him go in your yard where you found him. he will go back where he belongs if he is wild. if you are lucky, he will choose to hang out in your yard and come to visit you often. Win win situation. You should not try to relocate him as he will most likely die trying to get home.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Let him go in your yard where you found him. he will go back where he belongs if he is wild. if you are lucky, he will choose to hang out in your yard and come to visit you often. Win win situation. You should not try to relocate him as he will most likely die trying to get home.

I agree. No matter where you put him, he will only keep trying to get home.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I agree to place him simply back where you found him and let him decide what life he wants to live

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I don't think there is a water source nearby, though I cannot fully explore the little patch of woods. He could have come my way for my pond or for my females.

I took him to the patch of woods, 2 yards over, where I imagine he lives. As I went out, the neighbor kid was out in his yard shooting rabbits with a pellet gun. Hopefully he never sees the turtle.

I wouldn't mind him coming in my yard, though I would get scared my dogs would enjoy playing with him too much. He's pretty, though, so hopefully we see him again. He did not run away from me at all, so he was a neat guy.

WP_20140703_09_33_07_Pro.jpg WP_20140703_09_39_03_Pro.jpg