Which Are 'Friendly' ?

jwr0201

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota, FL
In my searches and readings, I remember running across a description of one species of tortoise that is very even tempered, not prone to bullying or fighting and gets along with others of it's kind in the same enclosure. Of course, I cannot find that article! So, any pearls of wisdom here? :tort: :tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Redfoot is probably the species the article was about. However, it's not 100% and you can't house one Male with one female. Also it's not likely two males will get along. Best bet is two females but they can not be sexed 100% under the age of 5 and if not raised in ideal conditions from the get go, it may even be longer then that.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
"Friendly" is a social description. Tortoises are not social animals.

The Yellowfoot/Redfoot species are a bit like aquatic turtles in that they can be situationally communal. This no doubt has to do with the fact that they evolved more closely associated with bodies of water and thick forest (which are limited when compared to the vast open lands where other tortoise species evolved).

YF/RF are rather large, though, and require a great deal of space in captivity in order to prevent stress. Overcrowded YF/RFs will be just as territorial and reflexively aggressive as any other species.

S2G

AL
I remember that article if it's the one I'm thinking about & it was a redfoot. Very general article though & not something I'd use as the gospel. Tolerant would be a better word