Which tortoise is the friendliest?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Yes, I´m looking if I can arrange a space outdoors. It would be a 16 ft square, is that enough?
For an adult 100lb+, 2'+ tort? (which equals an adult sulcata) I'm sorry, but no!I'm sorry, but these torts get freaking BIG. They need a big heated shed. They eat food like nothing else, and they need A LOT of room!
Here's a thread on that- http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/good-size-for-sulcata-out-door-enclosure.80054/
If you want a bigger tort with a lot of personality, I hear redfoots are great, and they only grow to a little over a foot! Marginated are about the same size, and are just gorgeous.
IMHO, tortoise and turtle types are just different, and of course, the individual is different too. I have three sliders, but my YBS is by far the biggest baby ever, just in the way she acts. the painted turtles are very different from each other. I've read storied about (maggie3fan's tort) Bob, and I am sooooooo glad that Cheerio is so mellow!
I guess it all depends on the tortoise, because they are ALL different, and while one species might be sightly more outgoing and 'friendly' than another, you might get an amazing, social tort that just wants to chill out all day with you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, I´m looking if I can arrange a space outdoors. It would be a 16 ft square, is that enough?

16x16' is plenty big for any of the Testudo species.

Where are you though? Climate should matter in your selection of species to work with.

natalie3

I live in Mexico. We have warm, sunny climate all year, a bit chilly in november and cold in december-january

natalie3

16x16' is plenty big for any of the Testudo species.

Where are you though? Climate should matter in your selection of species to work with.

For example a Russian tortoise? I found a gorgeous ornate box turtle...can you give me your opinion? :tort:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
For example a Russian tortoise? I found a gorgeous ornate box turtle...can you give me your opinion? :tort:
I have a Russian tortoise and a three toed Boxturtle. They both have a lot of personality and are friendly. The Boxturtle requires more water and eat protein, worms and crickets etc.The Russian tortoise does not eat protein at all, she eats mostly broadleaf weed's. Both types are escape artist though so they need good enclosure and I would recommend that they be outside as much as possible.I have both an indoor and outdoor enclosure for each of them,I think either one of them would be great.

natalie3

I have a Russian tortoise and a three toed Boxturtle. They both have a lot of personality and are friendly. The Boxturtle requires more water and eat protein, worms and crickets etc.The Russian tortoise does not eat protein at all, she eats mostly broadleaf weed's. Both types are escape artist though so they need good enclosure and I would recommend that they be outside as much as possible.I have both an indoor and outdoor enclosure for each of them,I think either one of them would be great.

Thank you! :):tort::)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think I read somewhere that Ornate boxies are the 'delicate' turtle of the box turtle 'species'? (If someone could correct/confirm??)
Eastern boxies are just gorgeous, and seem to have great personalities.

Magilla504

Are you referring to the outside set up as 16 square ft or do you mean 16x16 ft. A lot of us use a 4x8 ft inside enclosure which is 32 square feet. So to answer the question, a 16 square ft outside enclosure would not be an ideal outdoor enclosure.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Friendliness also depends on the individual tortoise and their history. Many say Russians are quite friendly social and have huge personalities, others say they have the personality of a potato (those are usualyy wild caught ones, they're scared and don't know people are their "magical food gods" ) My Russian is shy but very friendly, its cute because he'll hear you and look out at you and come running over, but you go to touch him and he's like nope and run away then come back. I've heard box turtles are quite friendly too, don't have my own though. Same with Sulcatas but their size is the problem point there, and you dont have the space (neither will I most likely)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yes. Correct. Russians, Hermanni, Greeks and Marginated tortoises, should all do great living mostly outside in your climate.

I'm no box turtle expert, but I have kept a few in years past. I prefer tortoises, but that is just a matter of personal opinion. If you are in a dry area of Mexico, I would keep tortoises. If you are in a more humid area, then I'd go for the box turtles. Either can work in either type of area. It all boils down to what you prefer, and how hard you want to work to give them what they need.

natalie3

Are you referring to the outside set up as 16 square ft or do you mean 16x16 ft. A lot of us use a 4x8 ft inside enclosure which is 32 square feet. So to answer the question, a 16 square ft outside enclosure would not be an ideal outdoor enclosure.

I meant 16 x 16

Manuela Green

Oklahoma
I have a 3 toed box tortoise .... She is very social and sweet... Loves to be petted on head and chin...Also have a leopard which is a little shy when it comes to the petting on her ..but that may had something to do ,us having to give her med when we just got her
I´ve been wishing to get a tortoise for a long time and now I´m doing research on which one would be the best for me. Box turtle? Sulcata? Leopard? I love them all. In your experience which one is more friendly?
ave