White Hibiscus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
I noticed most everyones tortoises are eating the red hibiscus flowers, today I went out and bought a hibiscus but it has white flowers is this ok I can take a picture of the leaves if this helps..
Thanks

Sorry this probably should have gone in the subforum..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know that color matters to taste in rose petals, but I don't know if hibiscus flowers change taste with the color. My Manouria tortoises have Rose of Sharon trees in their rain forest. Purple, blue, white and pink. The tortoises don't discriminate and eat it all. (Rose of Sharon is in the hibiscus family)

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

My Rose of Sharon blooms white with a small red center...Bob chows down on it just the same...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There IS a difference between the nutritional values of various hibiscus plants, but unless it is the only thing the tortoise is eating, the differences are not a big deal.

Hibiscus is a good food plant, but there is not a lot of nutrition in the leaves or flowers. 100g of material of the Roselle variety has 0 calories, about 18mg of calcium in leaves and 4mg in the flowers (Ca: P of the leaves- 4:1, flowers- 0.15:1. The Ca: P's look good, but that is an awfully small amount of calcium in 100g of food. Sorry, but I cannot locate my original source for these numbers.)

Most of the good nutrients are in the calyx- what on a rose is the 'hip'. This is what many teas are made of, so most nutrition charts base their numbers on that part.

For comparison, Mulberry leaves have about 200mg of calcium for a Ca: P of 10:1

Again- this is not a big deal as part of a good diet plan.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Here is a picture of it please tell me if it's like what you guys have all it says on it is tropical hibiscus nothing about rose of sharon or any other names..,,
I had just repotted and put organic soil in it excuse the mess...
IMG_4722-vi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.