White patches on shell Scutes??

Carolyn Thompson

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota,fl
I have a male Sulcatta approximately 80lbs. I live on the west coast of Fl. mid state. I've had him about 18years. He has developed white patches on his scutes. ???

Attachments

• tempImageKSuyNP.png
    tempImageKSuyNP.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a male Sulcatta approximately 80lbs. I live on the west coast of Fl. mid state. I've had him about 18years. He has developed white patches on his scutes. ???
Does one of the walls of your house border his pen? The edges of his scutes are damaged from abrasion near the white areas. Could this be drywall dust?

Carolyn Thompson

Sarasota,fl
Does one of the walls of your house border his pen? The edges of his scutes are damaged from abrasion near the white areas. Could this be drywall dust?
hhh
H
Tom...sorry for my delay. His enclosure is not near the house. I think the abrasions on his shell are do to him rubbing on the wood fence or digging into the shell ground. Though thankfully he is not much of a digger,
I carefully painted a tea tree oil fungi soup on his shell and after the first application the white patches seem to be disappearing. Thank you too much for taking the time to respond to my question.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Are there any similar white areas on the plastron? If so, it might be fungal in nature (shell rot) from dampness. Although quite unusual on the carapace, shell rot may have spread to those areas on the marginal scutes.

Since you said that the tea tree oil was helping, a fungal origin seems possible. You could also paint the spots with Gentian Violet which always worked well for me. Just be careful when applying it (use a Q-tip) as it gets everything it contacts a very dark purple color. It wears off over time or it can be removed with alcohol if it gets where you don't want it.

Good luck with the treatment.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks to me as if it's something external. Try to wash it off with soap and a brush.

Carolyn Thompson

Sarasota,fl
Are there any similar white areas on the plastron? If so, it might be fungal in nature (shell rot) from dampness. Although quite unusual on the carapace, shell rot may have spread to those areas on the marginal scutes.

Since you said that the tea tree oil was helping, a fungal origin seems possible. You could also paint the spots with Gentian Violet which always worked well for me. Just be careful when applying it (use a Q-tip) as it gets everything it contacts a very dark purple color. It wears off over time or it can be removed with alcohol if it gets where you don't want it.

Good luck with the treatment.
THANK YOU!! :)