White solid poop

Amore

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
My smallest baby leopard tortoise had a small piece of white ( looked like a small rock) in his/her poop. Any advice?

Amore

South Africa
Possible, Flash is almost 2 years but I still soak every morning. Was in water and would not know if was in urine

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This sounds like the urate of a dehydrated tortoise

Urate is how a tortoise expels excess proteins and should be white and slimy.

If it’s gritty or hard in any way the tortoise hasn’t been getting enough water.

This tortoise needs lots of really long soaks in warm water.

Use a large bowl with a flat bottom that your tortoise can’t see over or through. A washing up bowl is good.

Soak your tortoise for at least 30 minutes twice a day.

Amore

South Africa
Thank you, will soak daily. Flash and Tigger have a soaking bowl (saucer) in their enclosure but I have noticed Flash’s water is always clean. Tigger’s I can see he/she walks through it. Explains the dehydration. His enclosure is at 60-90% humidity. Anyway... thank you and will update in a week

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you, will soak daily. Flash and Tigger have a soaking bowl (saucer) in their enclosure but I have noticed Flash’s water is always clean. Tigger’s I can see he/she walks through it. Explains the dehydration. His enclosure is at 60-90% humidity. Anyway... thank you and will update in a week

I am concerned that these two are being kept together. They are loners that do not want company and see others as rivals for space and food.

Pairs do not succeed, regardless of gender. They should be kept separately.

You should not rely on them self-soaking either. They need to be soaked properly in separate bowls.

N

no one

If I read it correct you still soak every morning right? And one uses his waterbowl frequently and the other does not. You notice by the debris in water.
Make sure you soak 30 minutes or more. I think you will be fine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How deep is the water? It should be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron.

Sometimes the water isn’t deep enough for a proper soak.

Using a larger bowl means you have more water so the water stays warm for longer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rather than urates, I would be concerned it was something he ate. I have and have had, quite a few leopard tortoises, and have never seen urates in their yard or shed.

Does your substrate contain little white balls?

Amore

South Africa
No white balls or stones in the substrate. Bark, zoo met sand ( very little only for moisture) and moss for humidity

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Rather than urates, I would be concerned it was something he ate. I have and have had, quite a few leopard tortoises, and have never seen urates in their yard or shed.

Does your substrate contain little white balls?

I was thinking this same thing. Is it possible it was a rock?

@Amore
What size leopard tortoise are we talking about?
What substrate is it on?
Where are you? Please go into your UserCP and put in a location so we don't have to ask every time.
Does it spend time outside?
What do you typically feed it?

Amore

South Africa
Flash weighs about 350 grams now, the smaller tort above. I live in South Africa. Have tried to update but cannot seems to get it right. I use the app on my phone and not online. Mentioned substrate above. Diet varies between dark leafy greens, rocket, kale, fresh grass and dry tort food from petstore. Sometimes little bits of strawberry, cucumber and carrot. They spend at least 16 hours outside,
Mostly over weekends, weather permitting