Why does my tortoise keep sleeping and is inactive?

Why is he doing this?

• Tired

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Doing something wrong

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

MaxisMYtortoise

Location (City and/or State)
England
He has been cold(ish) and a bit tired. He is more active now because I let him sleep. He is like me lazy aha. But any advice?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Judging from your avatar, it appears you have a Russian tort. How old is it? Can you describe its enclosure and diet?

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Judging from your avatar, it appears you have a Russian tort. How old is it? Can you describe its enclosure and diet?
He is about 6/7 and his diet is mainly store bought salad and some veggies/fruit. Now his enclosure is down below in photos

Attachments

• DSC_0087.JPG
    DSC_0087.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    984.7 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0088.JPG
    DSC_0088.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 131

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Max is a bit more happier now. =D

But he does weird clicking sounds?

Attachments

• 15344133394517592632.jpg
    15344133394517592632.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 103

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

It seems like you have received outdated information about the care of your tort and there are changes that you need to make to help your tort be happy and healthy. You have come to the right place :)

We have care guides here written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated Information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

I suggest you give these a read and compare them with your setup. Of immediate concern to me are:

- The substrate is too dry. This needs to be an earthy type that hold water. Fine grade orchid bark or coco coir can be bought from a garden store (much cheaper not to buy them from a pet shop) and mixed with water until they are evenly damp throughout. Substrate needs to be around 4" (10cm) deep

- The UVB bulb is the coiled type that hurts tortoise eyes (this could be the cause of inactivity - the tort is hiding). Use a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) for basking, or a tube UVB

- The basking bulb must hand vertically, not be at an angle. The temperature directly underneath it must be 95-100F (35-37C)

- The water bowl is not suitable for tort use; it is hard for them to use and is a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate allows your tort to climb in it and rink or self soak.

- A piece of flat rock or slate, or even the rough side of a wall tile makes a good food plate that helps to keep tort's beak in shape by abrading it as your tort eats.

- Your vivarium is too small for anything other than the smallest tort - ie a hatchling or baby. Can we see a picture of your tort?

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Care of baby Russians
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Hi

It seems like you have received outdated information about the care of your tort and there are changes that you need to make to help your tort be happy and healthy. You have come to the right place :)

We have care guides here written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated Information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

I suggest you give these a read and compare them with your setup. Of immediate concern to me are:

- The substrate is too dry. This needs to be an earthy type that hold water. Fine grade orchid bark or coco coir can be bought from a garden store (much cheaper not to buy them from a pet shop) and mixed with water until they are evenly damp throughout. Substrate needs to be around 4" (10cm) deep

- The UVB bulb is the coiled type that hurts tortoise eyes (this could be the cause of inactivity - the tort is hiding). Use a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) for basking, or a tube UVB

- The basking bulb must hand vertically, not be at an angle. The temperature directly underneath it must be 95-100F (35-37C)

- The water bowl is not suitable for tort use; it is hard for them to use and is a tipping hazard. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate allows your tort to climb in it and rink or self soak.

- A piece of flat rock or slate, or even the rough side of a wall tile makes a good food plate that helps to keep tort's beak in shape by abrading it as your tort eats.

- Your vivarium is too small for anything other than the smallest tort - ie a hatchling or baby. Can we see a picture of your tort?

Beginner Mistakes

Russian Tortoise care

Care of baby Russians
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
Sure and thanks for the advice!

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Hi

Beginner Mistakes

Russian Tortoise care

Care of baby Russians
here is a pic

Attachments

• DSC_0084.JPG
    DSC_0084.JPG
    932.8 KB · Views: 86

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

Forget that tank. It is no good. It is far too small for a grown Russian and won't hold the humidity for an older animal.

Your existing vivarium is better for the baby I suspect you have. Get that set up properly as per the baby Russian thread that I linked and your tort will be much healthier and happier

When your tort is older it will need a much bigger space - 4'x8' minimum (1.5 x 2.2 metres)

Russians are very active tortoises and need lots of space

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Since your tortoise is an adult, he already needs the minimum of 8x4 feet. What you have him in is way, way too small.

Could we see his head from a side view?

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I need help he suddenly had scratches on his beak which was confusing because I only noticed them.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I need advice

Attachments

• 1534435377489839139765.jpg
    1534435377489839139765.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 15344354122731369575913.jpg
    15344354122731369575913.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 87

MaxisMYtortoise

England
He is currently sleeping but I will wake him up soon, but what is a over grown beak
I can’t really tell, but it looks like his beak might be overgrown. Could you get one straight from the side and not at an angle? You may have to hold him up to take the picture.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Sleepy woke up aha.
He closed his eyes for the photo but I think he was uncomfortable with me holding him up for so long.

Attachments

• 15344365296811685236376.jpg
    15344365296811685236376.jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 72

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
He is currently sleeping but I will wake him up soon, but what is a over grown beak

It when their beak is too long, usually from eating the wrong foods(grocery store foods)that are too soft and don’t have enough fiber. That causes the beak to become overgrown, because it doesn’t have anything tough to file against.
Here’s what a normal beak should look like-IMG_0280.jpg
And here’s an overgrown one-IMG_1534436652.970067.jpg