Wild daisy?

gustaf

5 Year Member
Are these wild daisy's and is it safe for tortoises to eat?

1440764060944.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, the leaves aren't right for the daisy family. But, sorry...I don't know what it is. Let's ask @Iochroma

gustaf

5 Year Member
I am wandering if they are safe to offer as food for hatchling sulcatas to add variety.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am wandering if they are safe to offer as food for hatchling sulcatas to add variety.

The leaves say Aster to me. Don't think it's Bidens. Look up White Asters in Florida. See if you agree.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
The common beggar tick (bidens alba) has seven white pedals and a yellow center. I believe the Aster has many more pedals. In any event I would rather be safe then sorry when figuring out what might be safe.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The common beggar tick (bidens alba) has seven white pedals and a yellow center. I believe the Aster has many more pedals. In any event I would rather be safe then sorry when figuring out what might be safe.

I agree - don't ever feed unless you are sure. You might be right on the ID. The picture doesn't give a very good view to base an accurate ID on.
The only flower visible looks like more than seven petals. Cultivated Asters can have many more petals and prettier flowers but the wild asters can have
less petaled flowers and be less showy.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

This is funny. I just came across a website that states that:
Bidens alba is a white flowered relative of the Asters.
It also showed the leaves which were very aster-like and almost matched the picture.
So I am ready with some confidence to concede the point with you.
I think you are right on your identification as Bidens.
Whether it is edible for tortoises I have no idea but it should be easy enough
to track down.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Thanks for the plant I'd guys. I'd like to get a book with good pictures of all the Florida plants.