Winter Eating Habits

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it depends on your weather. If it's 65 but sun is out, she will be fine being let out. If it's 70, gloomy or raining, I wouldn't let her out.
She needs the hide heated at 80 day and night. If she gets cold she needs to be able to go in the hide to warm up.
I would never let her out if cold and raining. That combo makes a sick tort.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
Yes, it depends on your weather. If it's 65 but sun is out, she will be fine being let out. If it's 70, gloomy or raining, I wouldn't let her out.
She needs the hide heated at 80 day and night. If she gets cold she needs to be able to go in the hide to warm up.
I would never let her out if cold and raining. That combo makes a sick tort.
Thank you! Should I skip feeding on those rainy days or put food in the night box?

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Thank you! Should I skip feeding on those rainy days or put food in the night box?
Personally I keep a constant supply of Timothy hay for them to munch on so I think if she has a supply of hay in her box she’d be fine skipping if it’s cold out, but I like giving them the option to graze at will. but just try it and see, my group starts pacing like mad around feeding time most days. They have constant hay but only get other stuff like dark leafy greens (especially the fibrous stems) and weeds once a day. On the days I don’t see that behavior I usually skip and just let them graze their hay.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Personally I keep a constant supply of Timothy hay for them to munch on so I think if she has a supply of hay in her box she’d be fine skipping if it’s cold out, but I like giving them the option to graze at will. but just try it and see, my group starts pacing like mad around feeding time most days. They have constant hay but only get other stuff like dark leafy greens (especially the fibrous stems) and weeds once a day. On the days I don’t see that behavior I usually skip and just let them graze their hay.
Orchard grass hay is much better and way less woody, but neither should be used as a substrate. I don't think that's what you are doing, this is for those that take it as using for a substrate and then being able to also eat it.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
Orchard grass hay is much better and way less woody
Maybe a silly question but if I were to have a small pile in there for her and it wasn’t all consumed how often does it need to be tossed out and replaced assuming she didn’t amend it herself if you know what I mean 😆

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe a silly question but if I were to have a small pile in there for her and it wasn’t all consumed how often does it need to be tossed out and replaced assuming she didn’t amend it herself if you know what I mean 😆
That's hard to say. If it doesn't get wet at all, it may be good for 3-4 days. If it gets wet or soiled at all, it molds quickly.
You could try hanging a a basket, see pic to keep it Screenshot_20240929-142234.pngoff the ground, which should make it last longer. I just bought two for this winter, so can't tell ya how well they work or the torts eat from them, but hoping they work good

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
That's hard to say. If it doesn't get wet at all, it may be good for 3-4 days. If it gets wet or soiled at all, it molds quickly.
You could try hanging a a basket, see pic to keep it View attachment 380158off the ground, which should make it last longer. I just bought two for this winter, so can't tell ya how well they work or the torts eat from them, but hoping they work good
Thanks!!

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Orchard grass hay is much better and way less woody, but neither should be used as a substrate. I don't think that's what you are doing, this is for those that take it as using for a substrate and then being able to also eat it.
Yes, I’ve thought about trying to switch to Orchard grass. Years back mine wouldn’t even touch hay so they get third cut Timothy hay (boojee torts) and since they actually would eat that we’ve stuck with it ever since. 3rd cut is softer and isn’t so woody but is less fiber than first cut. But at this point they eat it so readily it would be worth a shot seeing if they’ll eat other options now.

I keep the hay on a plastic lunch tray and just change it out when they soil it but typically if they don’t soil it, they will eat the whole plate every day. Would love to know how those hanging feeders work, have thought to try something similar, just wasn’t sure that they would take to it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I’ve thought about trying to switch to Orchard grass. Years back mine wouldn’t even touch hay so they get third cut Timothy hay (boojee torts) and since they actually would eat that we’ve stuck with it ever since. 3rd cut is softer and isn’t so woody but is less fiber than first cut. But at this point they eat it so readily it would be worth a shot seeing if they’ll eat other options now.

I keep the hay on a plastic lunch tray and just change it out when they soil it but typically if they don’t soil it, they will eat the whole plate every day. Would love to know how those hanging feeders work, have thought to try something similar, just wasn’t sure that they would take to it.
Ill try to remember to post the out come of the hay baskets. I might put some romaine in them in front of the hay. Trick them into excepting them. They never turn down romaine.