World Map With Tortoise Ranges

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
I am looking to find a world map, if one exists, of the various tortoises ranges for a school presentation, anyone have one, or know where to find one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe in Iverson'a book there's a world map showing tortoise ranges. What was it called....Turtles of the world?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Boy was I ever off. It's "Encyclopedia of Turtles" by Dr. Peter Pritchard.

But flipping through my copy, there's an occasional range map, but no map of the world type thing.

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Boy was I ever off. It's "Encyclopedia of Turtles" by Dr. Peter Pritchard.

But flipping through my copy, there's an occasional range map, but no map of the world type thing.

I've found a few like that myself, which I can always download and piece together, was just hoping for a single map that I could just print. Appreciate the response.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I've never seen one of the entire world. Would get kinda bogged down as many species over lap in numerous nations. Like southafrica for instance has a range map for the 17+ species/subspecies of tortoises and it gets quite intense and lots of color coding. For the world it may be too hard to properly
Itentify actual species. Now genus or general like of; like testudo in North Africa and Mediterranean could be kinda done. But given there's so many species in the genus testudo (and always changing) I'd speculate that's why it's never been done.

That and typically when scientist or in situ expeditions are done they focus on one or a few species over a span of years and numerous trips or visits. So if imagine they just don't want to put in general data like a world range map, when all the time and effort are for single or nutlike species native to one area of research.

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I've never seen one of the entire world. Would get kinda bogged down as many species over lap in numerous nations. Like southafrica for instance has a range map for the 17+ species/subspecies of tortoises and it gets quite intense and lots of color coding. For the world it may be too hard to properly
Itentify actual species. Now genus or general like of; like testudo in North Africa and Mediterranean could be kinda done. But given there's so many species in the genus testudo (and always changing) I'd speculate that's why it's never been done.

That and typically when scientist or in situ expeditions are done they focus on one or a few species over a span of years and numerous trips or visits. So if imagine they just don't want to put in general data like a world range map, when all the time and effort are for single or nutlike species native to one area of research.

Makes sense. I'll jsut pull some regional ones of the specific ones I want and piece it together. Appreciate the response.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Makes sense. I'll jsut pull some regional ones of the specific ones I want and piece it together. Appreciate the response.
No problem. Also I believe the turtle room has a pretty neat map of the world that shows each species as much as they could at least. That's a great start.