Worried about my dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi concerned about my 10+ year old Jack Russell Buzz, she has been a little out of sorts the last couple of days (there is nothing particularly unusual about that) but she has been lying with her head over the edge of the sofa for a while now and noticed a puddle of "drool" on the floor under where her nose is...
My little Buzz does also suffer from some minor brain damage and a twitch (have wondered if she has epilepsy for a while but it doesn't seem to bother her much and has had it since she was 1) (oh and the brain damage and twitch where caused by her eating slug pellets when she was a year old)

Just wondered if I should be worried and maybe take her to the vets?
As I'm sure you can understand I worry when little things go wrong with her after her accident!

Niki

5 Year Member
I would definitely take her to the vet. Is she eating? I can tell if my dogs aren't feeling well if they don't eat. But... I would not take a chance and get her into a vet soon. My dogs are like my children. Hope she feels better!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
yes she is eating (as much as she can as fast as she can as always) just seems more lethargic than normal, and she does kinda drool after drinking (I swear half of it ends up on the floor) she hasn't had a drink that recently... and she is not normally a drooler unless there is food about , which there is not

Oh, but she was not too interested in her chew, she did chew it a bit but normally would be at it for hours...

Niki

5 Year Member
Merlin M said:
yes she is eating (as much as she can as fast as she can as always) just seems more lethargic than normal, and she does kinda drool after drinking (I swear half of it ends up on the floor) she hasn't had a drink that recently... and she is not normally a drooler unless there is food about , which there is not

Oh, but she was not too interested in her chew, she did chew it a bit but normally would be at it for hours...

It's a really good sign she is eating, but the drooling part is not normal. If she usually loves her chew and isn't interested, I would definitely take a trip to the vet ASAP, before she gets worse. Please keep me posted.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
she does sometimes just lose interest of the chew though.

And I can't see anything in her mouth... Will have to see how she in in the morning I think...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would take your dog to the vet soon. Sudden excessive drooling/suddenly overactive salivary glands can be a symptom of neuralogical issues or respritory issues or about a dozen other things potentially going on.....a trip to the vet would likely be beneficial to your little one as well as your piece of mind, you know? :D

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
yeah, and neurological issues are the ones that scare me most (as she already has some)
don't think it is likely to be respiratory as she is not snoring more than usual or wheezy, it will be a long night (only 9.35pm here!)

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks, I'm sure I'm just being excessively paranoid as usual!

Buzz is very special to me, we bread her so have had he since the day she was born and brought her up, she is very much one of the family! I always say she is like one of my siblings! And I don't think I will ever get over coming down the stairs aged 14 to my puppy fitting on the kitchen floor, so tend to be over protective!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well she seems fine this morning, not so drooly and quite happy, even having a good chew!

Will keep an eye on her though

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's good! Sounds like she may have just had a bit of an off day.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
That is good news. I am as much of a hypochondriac about my animals as I am about myself, so when in doubt I take my animals to the vet. Neurology problems scare me the most too. :(

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My Rat Terrier had a back injury that left his back legs paralyzed. It was my herbal foods that saved him. PM me if you want info.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
She is still completely mental though!! but that is why I love her! - except when she peed on the the other day! Grr damn slightly incontinent creature!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Okay, I don't know, but the drooling, eating a lot and slight incontinence kinda sounds like cushings disease to me. I just went through that with my 18 year old pup. Start watching for little scabby places in the ears and paw pads. That's exactly what happened to her. I don't know your dog, I don't know how her neuro issues affect her, I'm just sharing my experience. I really hope that's not the case. My vet didn't detect the cushings either, and we went over and over. Good luck with your little buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.