Would this be big enough?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, big enough for a baby. They all grow at different rates, but it might work for a couple years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is plenty big for a baby, but it looks like its made of particle board. That won't stand up to the humidity and dampness very well.

If you get a well started baby, that size should last for at least 6 months and possibly a year, depending on growth rate.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I agree with @Tom on this one. That particle board material is really a non-starter for a Sully’s enclosure that requires very high humidity. If it was constructed of another material (better yet PVC) it would work (as long as it is coated), but not for very long. Sullys that are started correctly, and provided optimum conditions, grow rather quickly and need a good overall square footage floor space to wander around. Once you throw in a watering bowl and a food dish/slate, some plants AND a nice humid hide, the overall available crawable floor space is drastically reduced.

The enclosure pictured “looks” nice but isnt the best (particle board) and Id look for a better material.

Good luck

Sam1993

Pennsylvania
It is plenty big for a baby, but it looks like its made of particle board. That won't stand up to the humidity and dampness very well.

If you get a well started baby, that size should last for at least 6 months and possibly a year, depending on growth rate.
Thx for ur answer I thought about coating it with water proof paint and then I would lay down pond liner on the ground and on the sides + back do u think this can work?

Sam1993

Pennsylvania
I agree with @Tom on this one. That particle board material is really a non-starter for a Sully’s enclosure that requires very high humidity. If it was constructed of another material (better yet PVC) it would work (as long as it is coated), but not for very long. Sullys that are started correctly, and provided optimum conditions, grow rather quickly and need a good overall square footage floor space to wander around. Once you throw in a watering bowl and a food dish/slate, some plants AND a nice humid hide, the overall available crawable floor space is drastically reduced.

The enclosure pictured “looks” nice but isnt the best (particle board) and Id look for a better material.

Good luck
Sadly there are no pvc enclosures in my location to buy [emoji17]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thx for ur answer I thought about coating it with water proof paint and then I would lay down pond liner on the ground and on the sides + back do u think this can work?
This is easier said than done. No paint is water proof unless you buy non-toxic boat paint that is meant to be submerged. Its very expensive ($90 for primer and $130 for paint, last I bought it...) and no paint will hold up to a big tortoise rubbing on it.

I've moved away from wood because of all this. There is no place to buy pvc enclosures near me either. I order them and have them shipped to me. Animal Plastics is the best, but they take months to deliver. They are in Iowa. It is a top notch, super-duper, perfect enclosure when it arrives, but you have to wait for it. I'm waiting for one right now.

Reptile Basics sells a 2x4' one that ships pretty quickly. That will last a bit while you wait for the bigger custom job from AP.

Sam1993

Pennsylvania
This is easier said than done. No paint is water proof unless you buy non-toxic boat paint that is meant to be submerged. Its very expensive ($90 for primer and $130 for paint, last I bought it...) and no paint will hold up to a big tortoise rubbing on it.

I've moved away from wood because of all this. There is no place to buy pvc enclosures near me either. I order them and have them shipped to me. Animal Plastics is the best, but they take months to deliver. They are in Iowa. It is a top notch, super-duper, perfect enclosure when it arrives, but you have to wait for it. I'm waiting for one right now.

Reptile Basics sells a 2x4' one that ships pretty quickly. That will last a bit while you wait for the bigger custom job from AP.
Going to look into AP thanks [emoji16]

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
I bought mine from herptastic reptiles, chris will custom make a custom PVC cage and deliver it to you. Great company, great products, and great service.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sadly there are no pvc enclosures in my location to buy [emoji17]

Right. Just that if i were building it, id go with something other than particle board. A high end plywood, that is then coated with a good water proofing material all over. Then the inside bottom (up to 8 inches or so) sealed with a good poly liner.

When I built ours, i used multiple coats of KILZ on the inside, then used thick plastic on the bottom, followed up with a waterproof tarp. (Inside, bottom, up to about 6- 8 inches or so).

Since you are in Pa, Lowes or Home Depot have some nice quality (?) kiln dried pine that could be used. Properly painted up with waterproofing and your good.

Good luck have fun. Many ways to skin a cat :)

Sam1993

Pennsylvania

Thx I ended up ordering that one [emoji16] Screenshot_20190214-193126_Chrome.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thx I ended up ordering that one [emoji16]
That one should work well. I got the ones that are 18" tall and 36" wide. More floor space for a tortoise.

I also prefer a 6" litter dam and a lock on the sliding doors. Alli can add these thing if you want. Just call her back.

Ammasmama

Uniontown OH

Also particle board is full of toxins.