Yayyyy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
So today Milly reached the 600 gram mark! :D She is 601. And is 129mm long - thats 6mm more than when I last measured her in December.

Finally got her growing! And on the right track. Today is a good tortoise day :p

mil on scales.jpg

Forgot to mention she is 17 months old

Last edited by a moderator:

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
LeopardTortLover said:
So today Milly reached the 600 gram mark! :D She is 601. And is 129mm long - thats 6mm more than when I last measured her in December.

Finally got her growing! And on the right track. Today is a good tortoise day :p

Forgot to mention she is 17 months old

Congrats Milly! :D

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I know :( I'm just glad she's finally growing! Its taken a few months to get everything sorted. Zoomed Grassland food has definitely helped. But hooray! :D

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I'm just guessing, but do tortoises have growth spurts? She's at 627grams already - she's only started putting weight on since november and ive had her since august... but I changed her diet to include zoomed grassland pellets about november time - could this be the cause?

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Did she eat the zoo med food from the first time you offered it . My tortoise won't have anything to do with it. I keep trying.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
LeopardTortLover said:
I'm just guessing, but do tortoises have growth spurts? She's at 627grams already - she's only started putting weight on since november and ive had her since august... but I changed her diet to include zoomed grassland pellets about november time - could this be the cause?

Yes.

Yes.

One of my young animals recently added an inch and a half of straight-line growth in less than thirty days, putting my breeding program about a year ahead of schedule.

Your animal looks well. Keep up the good work.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
MasterOogway said:
Did she eat the zoo med food from the first time you offered it . My tortoise won't have anything to do with it. I keep trying.

No she didn't touch it at first even when I soaked them. I cut up her favorite food (lettuce) into tiny pieces and mixed it in with mashed soaked pellets. Then I weaned her off the lettuce and now she eats The soaked pellets by themselves.

Baoh said:
Yes.

Yes.

One of my young animals recently added an inch and a half of straight-line growth in less than thirty days, putting my breeding program about a year ahead of schedule.

Your animal looks well. Keep up the good work.

Wow! Milly has gained 6mm in a month so ill see if she keeps it up. Kinda hope it does but will need to get a Bigger enclosure soon. And thanks. :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
26 grams in 4 days is a lot. Mine is much smaller, but it went from gaining 24 grams a month to gaining over 40 grams a month between month 3 and 4.

It's always a surprise to weigh it on the 15th. Should be over 200 grams in February.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Ok I will keep trying. I tried cutting up his favorite lettuce into small pieces. If he even smells it on anything he will refuse it.i am hoping as he gets bigger he will try more things. Thanks!

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
MasterOogway said:
Ok I will keep trying. I tried cutting up his favorite lettuce into small pieces. If he even smells it on anything he will refuse it.i am hoping as he gets bigger he will try more things. Thanks!

If you try doing it gradually... so first it would be 90% lettuce 10% pellet mix. Then the following week 80% lettuce and 20% mix and do on so forth. That way he'd get the taste of it bit by bit. Is that what your doing?

It was Tom who gave me that tip, he also said tortoises are slow to adapt to new foods... and its like getting a kid to stop eating candy and move onto healthy food... so this might be why he isnt eating it.

CtTortoiseMom said:
Yay! Congrats to you and Milly!!

Thanks, growing like a weed now!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Thanks I am trying that. The problem is if he even smells it on his greens he will not touch it .If I have the pellets in his bowl at all he will smell it then go back to his hide. He will then come out every five minutes and look at me until I give in. Smart little tort he is .He is so little I want him to grow . I have read to not feed the greens..tough love until he eats it as another option . I am not comfortable doing that though since is a little baby.He does love his greens I will give him that.Should I offer tough love or be patient & content he is eating well.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Awww! Thats cute. They definately know how to get to us. I HAD to give mine tough love because she wasnt putting weight on. To be honest, if he's healthy, growing, and happy on his usual diet - and your not that fussed about including pellets - then i'd say just stick to it (if its a healthy diet that is). Mine wasnt on a healthy diet so I included the pellets. Weeds arent available at the mo here, thats why i use pellets over winter. As soon as summer comes around she'll be on weeds and flowers mostly.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
LeopardTortLover said:
Awww! Thats cute. They definately know how to get to us. I HAD to give mine tough love because she wasnt putting weight on. To be honest, if he's healthy, growing, and happy on his usual diet - and your not that fussed about including pellets - then i'd say just stick to it (if its a healthy diet that is). Mine wasnt on a healthy diet so I included the pellets. Weeds arent available at the mo here, thats why i use pellets over winter. As soon as summer comes around she'll be on weeds and flowers mostly.

Mine is on a winter diet too and I would love to get him on the pellets in combo with his greens in the winter. I think I will watch his weight keep trying to offer it daily. If he doesn't see to gain weight then go for the tough love. Thanks so much you were a big help giving me a game plan. :)

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Milly hits over 700 grams! Yet another milestone :) happy happy.

2013-04-04 13.06.04.jpg
2013-04-04 13.06.38.jpg

04/04/13
20 months
141mm
718 grams

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.