YBS shell shedding / shell rot?

JohniCc

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus, Limassol
Hey everyone,
So I've just noticed that one of my two turtles got some black holes on its shell and I was wondering if this is normal or is it shell rot?
Ever since I got him, he had some white spots on his shell like his shell was shedding. I was worried but he is very healthy and happy. I had also used some mineral food/proteins when they where young but it didn't make any difference. He has already shed a lot but those white spots are still there.
I'll upload some pictures showing the black hole and the white spots, any thoughts?
IMG_6080.JPG IMG_6083.JPG IMG_6085.JPG IMG_6087.JPG

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you a
Hey everyone,
So I've just noticed that one of my two turtles got some black holes on its shell and I was wondering if this is normal or is it shell rot?
Ever since I got him, he had some white spots on his shell like his shell was shedding. I was worried but he is very healthy and happy. I had also used some mineral food/proteins when they where young but it didn't make any difference. He has already shed a lot but those white spots are still there.
I'll upload some pictures showing the black hole and the white spots, any thoughts?
View attachment 127711 View attachment 127712 View attachment 127714 View attachment 127715

Do you provide a place inside of the tank/enclosure that the turtle can climb out onto that has a basking light above so that the turtle can dry out the shell and limbs as they desire...it is necessary for the turtle to have a place to do this through out the day....do you provide uva and uvb rays that the turtle can rest under as well? Is the water warmed by a tank water heater?

JohniCc

Cyprus, Limassol
Do you a

Do you provide a place inside of the tank/enclosure that the turtle can climb out onto that has a basking light above so that the turtle can dry out the shell and limbs as they desire...it is necessary for the turtle to have a place to do this through out the day....do you provide uva and uvb rays that the turtle can rest under as well? Is the water warmed by a tank water heater?
Yes i have both a heater and a warm basking dock. Now about the lamp i use, it's an Osram Consentra and i don't really know if it provides uvb or uva... But, every weekend i get my turtles out in the sun as it is very sunny and warm where i live.
Here's a picture of their tank:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430241331.967341.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes i have both a heater and a warm basking dock. Now about the lamp i use, it's an Osram Consentra and i don't really know if it provides uvb or uva... But, every weekend i get my turtles out in the sun as it is very sunny and warm where i live.
View attachment 127833

That is a pretty set up....I see by the reflection in the tank glass that the bulb is at an angle....the light really needs to be directly above pointing the heat towards the basking spot...so perhaps you can reposition the bulb to heat directly down onto the spot....I would also check to see what the temp is on that basking spot...you will want a basking spot that is at least 90-95 degrees--a little more it alright too. That bulb you referenced is simply a flood lamp bulb...it does not provide uva nor uvb....I would suggest acquiring a bulb designed for the uva/uvb. I understand you take them out during the weekend, which is great....I however would suggest an artificial uva/uvg source indoors for the other days...a long tube uva/uvb bulb is good...

JohniCc

Cyprus, Limassol
That is a pretty set up....I see by the reflection in the tank glass that the bulb is at an angle....the light really needs to be directly above pointing the heat towards the basking spot...so perhaps you can reposition the bulb to heat directly down onto the spot....I would also check to see what the temp is on that basking spot...you will want a basking spot that is at least 90-95 degrees--a little more it alright too. That bulb you referenced is simply a flood lamp bulb...it does not provide uva nor uvb....I would suggest acquiring a bulb designed for the uva/uvb. I understand you take them out during the weekend, which is great....I however would suggest an artificial uva/uvg source indoors for the other days...a long tube uva/uvb bulb is good...
Thank you :))
I know that it should be facing directly down at the basking spot but the reason i have the lamp that way is cause the "ceiling" on top of the tank is kind of low. From where I have the lamp right now to the basking spot it's 30cm. If i put it directly on top of it, it's less than 15-10cm.
But I guess if i get a long tube, as you have mentioned, that is at least 40watt, it should be fine?
Because I live on an island it's kind of hard to find a uvb/uva long tube, so if you could suggest a site that ships the lamp internationally, I would be more than grateful!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you :))
I know that it should be facing directly down at the basking spot but the reason i have the lamp that way is cause the "ceiling" on top of the tank is kind of low. From where I have the lamp right now to the basking spot it's 30cm. If i put it directly on top of it, it's less than 15-10cm.
But I guess if i get a long tube, as you have mentioned, that is at least 40watt, it should be fine?
Because I live on an island it's kind of hard to find a uvb/uva long tube, so if you could suggest a site that ships the lamp internationally, I would be more than grateful!

Is the tank against a wall behind it? If yes, then you can mount a plant hanger from the wall at the appropriate height and then hang the light directly over the basking spot as you show on the back of the tank wall....also, you will need a heat bulb as well as the uv ray bulb....please also avoid the purchase of the curly/coil style bulb for the uv rays--the long straight uv ray bulbs are much safer...

I believe ebay ships international.....

JohniCc

Cyprus, Limassol
Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the scutes are being retained instead of shedding. Use a food with wheat germ View attachment 127967

Like this one.

As for UV lights, remember, turtles don't need UVB, they need vitamin D to utilize calcium. UVB is one source, so is supplementation. Look for a good quality pellet that has Vit D and a calcium/phosphorus ratio of at least 2/1.
I'll head to my local pet shop and look for vitamin D pellets today, their food is about to run out anyway :p
Thanks!
Oh, can you suggest any fruits or vegetables that water turtles can eat? I already know that lettuce is healthy...

JohniCc

Cyprus, Limassol
Is the tank against a wall behind it? If yes, then you can mount a plant hanger from the wall at the appropriate height and then hang the light directly over the basking spot as you show on the back of the tank wall....also, you will need a heat bulb as well as the uv ray bulb....please also avoid the purchase of the curly/coil style bulb for the uv rays--the long straight uv ray bulbs are much safer...

I believe ebay ships international.....
Alright thanks again!
I'll look it up and see what I can find. Hopefully I'll find that long tube you've mentioned.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I'll head to my local pet shop and look for vitamin D pellets today, their food is about to run out anyway :p
Thanks!
Oh, can you suggest any fruits or vegetables that water turtles can eat? I already know that lettuce is healthy...

Sorry, I have no slider experience, but my understanding is that they are almost exclusively carnivorous when young. Maybe add anacharis and duck weed to the tank? Lettuce doesn't add much, nutrient wise. Search under RES care and hopefully you will get some specific info.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks!
Zeno is correct :p You'll have a hard time getting them to eat any greens now, but you can try!
They CAN eat many weeds, you can try things like dandelion, but mine go more for aquatic plants. Duckweed, water lettuce (totally different from just 'lettuce') water hyacinth, and for some reason they love strawberry leaves. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
View attachment 127833

Your turtle needs both uva and uvb, but he particularly needs UVB, the short wavelengths of light, for Vitamin D3 production. Exposure to UVA is also important for the activity level, feeding, and breeding in many species.

Please do not skimp on the uva/uvb lighting....the turtle will bask for long periods of time to obtain warmth, uv rays as well as allowing their shell and body to dry out---this is also a necessary part of their day and their overall health...

JohniCc

Cyprus, Limassol
Your turtle needs both uva and uvb, but he particularly needs UVB, the short wavelengths of light, for Vitamin D3 production. Exposure to UVA is also important for the activity level, feeding, and breeding in many species.

Please do not skimp on the uva/uvb lighting....the turtle will bask for long periods of time to obtain warmth, uv rays as well as allowing their shell and body to dry out---this is also a necessary part of their day and their overall health...
Yes you are right, the lighting is very important, thus I did my research and the best long tube I found is this one... http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400421729722
It has three options for the watts, I was thinking of getting the 35w as the lamp is going to be at least 20cm away from the turtles.
What do you think?

JohniCc

Cyprus, Limassol
Zeno is correct :p You'll have a hard time getting them to eat any greens now, but you can try!
They CAN eat many weeds, you can try things like dandelion, but mine go more for aquatic plants. Duckweed, water lettuce (totally different from just 'lettuce') water hyacinth, and for some reason they love strawberry leaves. :)
I'll try to find some aquatic plants :) I bought one from IKEA once but they ate it up :p
For some reason I've always wanted to give them strawberries, I guess I'll try feeding them some along with their leaves!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Just not the fruit part too often :)
Can you get the bulb nearer to 30cm? The usual guideline here is around 12''.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes you are right, the lighting is very important, thus I did my research and the best long tube I found is this one... http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400421729722
It has three options for the watts, I was thinking of getting the 35w as the lamp is going to be at least 20cm away from the turtles.
What do you think?

Good choice...I also agree more like 12 inches from the surface of the tortoise is a more desirable distance...did you decide if the fixture will be set onto the top of the tank or are you going to be able to hang it at a designated height?

JohniCc

Cyprus, Limassol
The fruit will be an once in a while treat, whenever strawberries are in season :)
Sadly I won't be able to find aquatic plants here in my country, so I'll have to stick to the lettuce and the trawberrie leaves for now...
About the lamp, I decided I'll place the fixture on top as it's the only way it won't be as close to the turtles.
I know I should go for 30cm/12" but if i do that I'd have to remove some water out of the tank and that would leave the tank with 2,5" of water :/
Should I get the 22w lamp instead?